/dist/images/branding/favicon

Help, Trying to upgrade my mimic firmware

Discussion in 'MIMIC' started by Brian Alexander, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Brian Alexander

Brian Alexander New Member

I have never used the mimic so the firmware is the first one, when I go to upgrade thru the Movi App it stops and says "oh no" I read you need to do it thru the movi beta app but i can figure out how to download that. If anyone can help greatly appreciated.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

This is likely due to a Bluetooth update issue. When Apple changed their iOS, they changed the Bluetooth protocol, and Freefly had to come up with a patch, because the phone will keep disconnecting from the Movi.

Well, one thing I saw someone do, with this similar problem, was do the updates from 1.4 to 1.5, and then make the Firmware jump to 2.0. This got around the Bluetooth update that you need to perform. Apparently there's a separate update for the Bluetooth, and a method where you do it through the SD card in the Mimic, but you need to get a special jumper cable from Freefly to do it. Of the dozen or more cases I've seen of this, I haven't heard of anyone who's used the jumper cable, but maybe?

You need to start with the original Movi app, get it updated to the earlier versions, and then go through the Beta app.

To get the Beta app, you go to the Freefly Beta page, which will allow you to request the app from Freefly. Then you download an app called Test Flight on your iPhone, and once Freefly approves you, you can download the Beta app from Test Flight.

3. Brian Alexander

4. Brian Alexander

How long does it take Freefly to approve me?

5. Graham Futerfas

Not long, in my experience. They have to be in the office though, so maybe a day? I think approval is pretty much automatic, but someone has to manually do it.

6. Brian Alexander

I cant figure out how to request it do you know how to do that?

7. Graham Futerfas

8. Graham Futerfas

Were you able to update to version 1.5 first?

9. Brian Alexander

10. Graham Futerfas

You may have to send an email to support@freeflysystems.com and request the Beta. Also, I would mention you're having issues with the update. They may have good suggestions for you.

11. Brian Alexander

Thanks so much for taking time this seems so long way around thank u tho.

12. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

Freefly doesn't manually approve public beta testers anymore.

Once you have TestFlight installed on your device:
    1. Go to the Pro Support Beta Page on your phone.
    2. In the section titled "MōVI Pro App" click on the button for the iOS app.
    3. That's where the button is to click on to "sign up."

That's it. Just wait for the email to show up from TestFlight with either a link to click on, or a code to enter into TestFlight. Then you can download the beta app through TestFlight.

No need to delete the regular app, but we always recommend that you use matching firmware and apps across your system, because that is how we test things. Beta App, Beta Pro firmware, Beta MIMIC Firmware, etc.

13. Brian Alexander

can I then

14. Brian Alexander

Then how do I upgrade the mimic from there?

15. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

Once you have the Beta App installed on your phone or tablet, connect to the MIMIC through it, and run the update as you would for the MōVI Pro: Monitor>Updates>

16. Damien Beebe

Damien Beebe New Member

How do I update my Mimic With Out The Jump cable..??

17. Christian reynish

Christian reynish New Member

Hi there, one of my mimics won't update from 1.3.1 to 1.5 or blackjack. everything else, mimics and movi pros updated fine. I lodged a ticket and freefly suggested the micro sd card might be corrupt. I have seen the support article https://freeflysystems.com/knowledg...tooth-firmware-on-movi-pro-xl-and-mimic-pilot suggesting you update the bluetooth architecture. However, when i try to view the sd card on a computer i'm not seeing anything. If i try to replace the potentially corrupted sd card does anyone know what the card should be formatted to? is there an existing file structure for the sd card i can install before hand?? Apologies if i'm missing something obvious.

18. Dmitriy Butenko

Dmitriy Butenko New Member

Hi guys ! I've solved the same problem with SD card which has been pulled out from MOVI itself.
    I put it into the MIMIC and , miracle , everything went well ! 1.3.1>1.5.0>2.0 !!!

19. Wes Van Heest

Wes Van Heest New Member

I used an old iPhone buried in a drawer to update the firmwares today and it worked perfectly. My girlfriends old iPhone 6 and the current movi pro app from the App Store. first update the bluetooth module (I guess this is all you really need the old phone for, but I used it for the whole process), then "revert to 1.4" from 1.3, then update to 1.5 from there. Now the mimic and my ps4 controller play nice with the movi pro and redrock motor with movi pro lens motor cable.

edit: I should mention this was after I tried to update using my iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 13.3 and was unable to, before I realized there was an SD card method, but after I realized the bluetooth change was the issue. heheh