/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mimic Update trouble

Discussion in 'MIMIC' started by Rob Curschman, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Rob Curschman

Rob Curschman New Member

Trying to update my Mimic from 1.2.2 by updating bluetooth then regular by following the steps in the update guide. I dont have the white jumper cable, I was sent a black Com-Com cable with my MP.So I am trying to update from the MP App. I have even backed up to the legacy APP thinking 1.2.2 is too old for the MP Beta App. The Mimic practically skips first two steps of update and cuts off the update during " Update BTLE ' phase. Usually it says OhNo failed to update firmware but I have seen it say does not recognize Firmware. I have tried to Revert but it stops that process as well. Reset Defaults also does nothing; can anyone tell me how to cleanse this Mimic and get it on the path to update freedom?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

If you can get the Beta firmware updater, I hear it has a separate Bluetooth update in the app.

There was a thread about it on Facebook with that solution (Freefly Movi Pro & XL Users Group, originally posted January 9th, 2019)
    "Update: I spoke to Bryan at Movi. In the new beta iOS application there is now a “bluetooth update” button under the “open terminal” option. Using the button the update “failed” but still installed and worked. I can now connect to my Movi via iOS 12 without problems."

I have yet to see *anyone* need that jumper cable for the Mimic, nor have I seen Freefly offer it to anyone that has had this same issue. I've seen this Bluetooth update problem about a dozen times online this month, now.

3. Rob Curschman

Rob Curschman New Member

Graham,
    Thanks, I saw that post in my searches. I'll try to locate it and maintain my patience with this product line but only so much time in a day to waste. Cheers.
    Graham, Update that may benefit others. I had an old iPad that enabled me to update to 1.4 on the first try, Hallelugah!

#3 Rob Curschman, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  4. Graham Futerfas

Well that’s good news. Technically, this isn’t Freefly’s fault that Apple changed their Bluetooth protocol.

5. Rob Curschman

Rob Curschman New Member

This is true, frustration getting the better of me. Now on to the 360 roll! Did I see where you preferred the Alpha Wheels? Weighing those dual op tools.

6. Graham Futerfas

New gimbals do require some patience at first.

I've used the Alpha Wheels with SBus XR for a while now, and really love them. I recommend the brass wheels for the added weight and dampening.

I recently purchased a Movi Controller, though I held out for over three years because I didn't see a need for it until the new Firmware came out. For 360 Roll applications, which I think will become popular with some of my clients this year, the Movi Controller makes a lot of sense. You can use the Movi Controller with the Alpha Wheels if you want it all, and I've started using that option this last month, but the SBus XR option offers a smaller, lighter, and drift-free experience for most uses. The Movi Controller adds a lot of power, and with that comes some added complexity.