/dist/images/branding/favicon

Pan drift issues, wierd boot jerk/jolt

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Evan Ledwith, Jan 20, 2019.

?

What cable do you use for your on-rig monitor?

1. Basic Full/Mini/Micro HDMI Cable

50.0%
  2. Coiled Full/Mini/Micro HDMI Cable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. One that came with the monitor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. If none of these, please Comment Below

50.0%
  1. Evan Ledwith

Evan Ledwith New Member

Hey guys, long time no see...
    I pulled out my Movi over MLK weekend to run around san diego and get some film of the city and Balboa Park, and started to experiance something wierd.
    - On boot up, using motion boot, the movi turns on the 3 lights, then off, then sits for a second, but when it jumps to life, it jerks the pan axis left in what feels like an echo motion. the first jerk is kinda hard, then softer, softer, etc. Then it stops 2-3 seconds later, and pans in to whatever my window is set at, at the proper stiffness/speed.

I brushed that off, yea it's wierd, but as long as it doesn't impact shots I don't particularly care. Going over footage that night, and at a few points during the day I noticed a drift to the left or right, about a degree/30seconds. So for a 5 minute Hyperlapse, that's pretty significant. This occured whilst walking and longboarding. Any ideas? I messed with the tuning for a while and was able to cut it about in 1/2 with stiffness/hold strength, filter, etc, but it still drifts a little.

Also, I'm having problems with my cord going from camera->monitor bumping my tilt axis, and giving my film jitters. Any tips? Do you just up your stiffness/jolt rejection? I have tried routing the cable the same path as the Movi cables, but it's too stiff for that. Maybe someone has a cable suggeestion?

Setup:
    Movi M5, latest firmware, stock battery in cage.
    a6300 w/ Smallrig cage
    Rokinon 12mm w/ Tiffen adjustable ND
    Atomos Ninja Flame
    Amazon Basics HDMI cable

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I use thin HDMI cables from Amazon, but I think they're made by StarTech and\or Cable Matters. You can search for "thin HDMI cable", and they're pretty cheap. I get them in 3' \ 1 meter length, and I think I have them in both kinds -- Large HDMI connector to Large, and also Small to Large, depending on the camera I might need it for. Of course, I also carry plenty of spare of them, since they can go bad eventually.

As for your drift, Im not sure I completely understand your shot, but what heading assist do you have set up? And maybe your Window is too high or your smoothness too low?

This blog post might inspire some ideas and troubleshooting for Hyperlapse:
    https://everyaxis.com/bending-time-with-mōvi-pro-9da52e939730

3. Evan Ledwith

Evan Ledwith New Member

Thank you. My cable is def. thicker than that, ill look into a thinner one. I wasnt using heading assist, because I wasnt sure about the effect of all the buildings on either compass or gps. I will go out and mess with gps heading assist today, maybe that will fix it.

Why would a large window or low smoothness cause drift? Until the pan axis hits the edge of the window, the stiffness won't come into play, so i can see why that would cause problems, but would there be an issue with the sensors causing drift?

4. Graham Futerfas

Maybe you can make note of these settings and post them. It might help us understand what's going on better.

Remote Rate Scale, Max Control Rate, Hold Strengths, and Majestic settings could all play into this, and also maybe you can post some video of the problem?

I don't think GPS is the answer for Heading Assist. Probably want it Off.

Have fun! Seems like a good weekend in SoCal to be outside.

5. Evan Ledwith

Evan Ledwith New Member

I'll Post a video As soon as I get back to a computer.
    Here are the settings I was using,

Remote Rate Scale: 100
    Max Control Rate: 200
    Hold Strengths: Both (8, 8, 8) and (10, 10, 10), I belive 8's is the default?
    Tilt Smoothing: 45 Tilt Window: 25
    Pan Smoothing: 75 Pan Window: 30

I didn't realize that control rate and rate scale mattered if I didnt have a controller connected. I didnt bring it with me for this trip, (a mistake, but space was limited), so I have the RX chip disconnected.

6. Graham Futerfas

The Rates control how fast the Movi can respond to Pan and Tilt, so a really low Rate can be useful for Hyperlapse. I admit I'm always confused by which one overrides the other in Remote or Majestic.

Those window and smoothing settings seem kind of high, but I'm mostly used to Movi Pro and not M5, and Hyperlapse isn't my expertise, so take all this advice with a grain of salt, but hopefully it will help point you in the right direction.

Did you get a chance to read the Every Axis Blog post I linked to above? It might have some helpful advice for Hyperlapse if you haven't already seen it.