/dist/images/branding/favicon

Dual Operator Control ROLL please

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Tom Fan, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Did you hear the latest news from Freefly (as of last week or so?), via Instagram Live? With the upcoming Firmware version 2, they found a way to get roll to work with Movi Controller, and if you mount the Movi 90-degrees forward, so that the Pan motor would control the Roll axis, you can do infinite Rolls while the other two motors control pan and tilt.

It seems this was a huge software challenge, harder than it appears. I think you need the Movi Controller in order to take advantage of it.

Unfortunately, I can't link to the video as it's disappeared from Instagram now.

2. Rolf Ableiter

Rolf Ableiter Active Member

no, i didn't see this... sounds cool but for now it would be cool enough to control the roll without endless function and with the ability to switch the control of the roll from "angle" to "rate". this would not be a big challenge.
    I have the roll on my rudder stick but it is in "angle" mode wich isn't very smooth to operate.

i even do not understand why one need to have the MoVI Controller for an endless setup. it is just a remote and not the PID controller

i find the RC remotes very useful to control the MoVI and also the range of the MoVI Controller is very limited.
    ah and it is expensive :)

3. Graham Futerfas

I have a feeling, but don't know for sure, that there is a bunch of elegant and fancy software coding that had to happen. Apparently, on the Movi Controller, you have to switch a few parameters to enable this mode. Gimbal Lock is one issue, and the other is the way the sensors seem to work on the Movi. Currently, if you flip the Movi 90-degrees forward, the Pan motor no longer functions in the same way. It becomes the Roll axis, and just maintains horizon, and doesn't respond to Pan inputs from the controllers.

Again, I have no first hand knowledge, so I'm just guessing, and maybe someone from Freefly would like to comment more. Or not. Because obviously DJI is trying to work on these same challenges with Ronin 2 and is also apparently finding it more difficult than they thought.

4. Rolf Ableiter

yes - gimbal lock is a problem if you want an endless roll and endless pan. they will eleminate each other in some positions.

but this isn't what i want to have. it is only the way of controlling the roll axis. just go to the settings and you'll see that you can switch the tilt from "rate" to "angle". this is what i would like to have for roll.
    at the moment the roll is "angle only".
    also it would be great to have the majestic roll funnction with mimic.

#24 Rolf Ableiter, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  5. Tom Fan

Tom Fan New Member

Hi Rolf,
    I'm with you, we don't need big change , just give us “roll rate” on one RC Controller channel.
    People should join us that FF team can hear.

6. Rolf Ableiter

the problem i see is that one cannot use the trim switch of the RC for horizon trim anymore. the roll would begin to drift if this is used.
    but it is the same with tilt. just don't use the switch and everything is perfect :)
    in my DX7 i have a D/R switch configured to deactivate the rudder stick. after switching you can't control the Roll of the gimbal and the horizon is leveled.

7. Tom Fan

Tom Fan New Member

Any news?......

8. Graham Futerfas

9. Chris Bacik

Chris Bacik New Member

Just thought I would share the incredibly disappointing news with everyone I just learned... Movi 2.0 STILL does not include basic rate/speed control for the roll input for non-360 mode.

10. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

With MōVI Software v2.0, you can roll with
    • MōVI Controller
    • MIMIC
    • Pilot
    • Gamepad
    • API

Feedback
    • Software team doesn't necessarily monitor forum, facebook, etc.
    • If you want to ensure your message is delivered to team you can fill feedback from or directly contact Freefly support team
    • Software team haven't previously received requests in our system to add roll mapping to 3rd party controllers and this is not a feature that was added to v2.0

11. Chris Bacik

Chris Bacik New Member

Hi Deniz,

You have always been able to roll, using the roll trim. Unfortunately it isn't useful because a) There is no smoothing b) The Trim is "angle" roll control. Users need speed/rate roll control for precise and smooth roll movements (especially when trying to correct for roll drift mid shot).

The first thing I did two months ago when I got my Movi Pro was put in a support ticket because I was extremely frustrated there is no Speed/Rate roll control. Haven't heard anything from anyone since. I even saw this feature requested by users in forums over a year ago (whether anyone put in a support ticket or not, I cannot comment on).

Every other gimbal you can think of has speed/rate roll control. It is a critical feature for drone work. Freefly makes the Alta, I don't understand how this feature could be missed.

Anyways, hopefully Freefly addresses this issue sooner than later.

#32 Chris Bacik, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Colin Burgess likes this.
  12. Deniz Ozgoren

Staff Member

Hi Chris,

• Because like you stated, this is "roll trim", and not "roll"

• There is so many other ways you can achieve roll shots currently. Added your request to add mapping option for 3rd party rc controllers as well. At every release we go over the list of hundreds of requests and prioritize them based on so many factors. Can't promise a timeline for your right now but hoping it will make it to the top priority list.

13. Deniz Ozgoren

Staff Member

Didn't want to give you just bad news, so here is a test build to try! Although we won’t be able to get testing/support resources for this in the near term, if you are able to test and let us know if its working for you, we can continue with development and add this to main app. (Note that this is still not on our priority list, so we won't be able to give you a release date). Here is how to test:
    Hoping this works for you!
    Cheers

14. Chris Bacik

Chris Bacik New Member

Hey Deniz
    Really appreciate you guys taking to time to look into this. I tried it out, and it works pretty well. In the final version it would be great to have Max Speed, Expo, Smoothing and Window like the Pan and Tilt Axis. I am sure people will have different opinions on this, but I think you could just keep it simple and have the Max Speed on a scroll wheel in the app (instead of mapping it to a input channel like Pan and Tilt).

Thanks,
    Chris

15. Chris Bacik

Chris Bacik New Member

Hey Deniz,
    I know this may be a big ask, but is there anyway you can easily change the software so we can use this Rate Roll test in V1.5 (instead of 2.0)? 2.0 has major drifting issues on both of our Movi's and we just can't trust it anymore on set so I have had to revert all our Movi's back to 1.5. Unfortunately this means we can't use the rate roll control to correct for the less severe drifts we get on 1.5
    Thanks,
    Chris

16. Chris,
    I have responded to you with the answer, via the Freefly support ticket email you sent directly to us.

17. Damien Beebe

Damien Beebe New Member

Having problems with drift on the movi pro after v2 update... and will not revert back to 1.5....
    Help

18. Graham Futerfas

Drift? In Majestic Mode, or with a remote controller? Which remote are you using? Can you offer more information? I haven't seen a change in drift after updating to v2.

19. Tom Fan

Tom Fan New Member

I can’t find “Roll Control Mode” in 2.0.1, where is it?