/dist/images/branding/favicon

MCR with Moment Case and Lens

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Karen Grant, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Karen Grant

Karen Grant New Member

Hi. I have an iPhone 8 Plus. What counterweight(s) do I need to use with a Moment case and 18 Wide lens? I did watch a Freefly turtorial but they were using the iPhone X to balance the MCR. I then watched another video from Moment and they used the large and medium counterweight but didn’t say what iPhone they were using.

Thanks for your response.

2. Kevin P Riley

Kevin P Riley Active Member

Moment had a video that shows them balancing a plus sized iPhone with a wide lens.

3. Karen Grant

Karen Grant New Member

Thanks Kevin. I did watch that video. I am using the medium and large weights. My phone just wants to tilt down. How do I get it to stay up? It’s centered, face down. I can’t get it to balance on its on.

4. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper New Member

Not an iPhone user, but i just setup my pixel 3xl and used the medium and large weights together to accomplish the balancing. Also, i used the small weights with the pan clamp rightw to balance the pan, too.

5. Kevin P Riley

If I understand what you mean you can adjust the position of the weights in the rings forward and back.

6. Karen Grant

Karen Grant New Member

Ok...so I've been trying to get the balance down and I just can't seem to get it. I am just trying to balance the Movi with the Moment Case on it for now... Here are some photos, if someone could help me with this. The Movi just wants to lay face down in the photos. I've tried the large weight alone, large and medium weights together and nothing. I've watched the videos from Freefly and Moment. I know it takes a bit of patience. I've pushed the weights around and the Movi just doesn't want to lift up. What weights do I need to use to balance the my iPhone 8 Plus and just the Moment case?

Thanks for your response.

Attached Files:

7. Kevin P Riley

Move the top one back and the bottom one forward. But personally I wouldn’t expend the effort, just to redo it with the lens. It’s also possible it won’t balance without the lens, although that seems unlikely.

8. Karen Grant

Karen Grant New Member

Hi Kevin.. Yeah I know, but I just would like to get it balanced now. I just want something for now. I've spent 3 plus hours for 2 days trying to get this with the lens. So I figured I just give it a try without the lens. Would you use the just the large counterweight as I have in the photos? Or medium the one? Interesting, Moment uses all 3 counterweights to balance with the wide angle lens. I don't know what this is so hard for me. I've watched the videos and Moment even has on their support site a screen grab from the video they did showing their setup on the Movi. I copied that, but it didn't work for me. I know I am just missing the sweet spot. Thanks for your help.

9. Kevin P Riley

I used the large and medium and the large and small for my wide lens, but I was balancing an iPhone X. With the iPhone XS, new case and anamorphic lens I just used the large weights. I was able to balance the wide with just the large weights, but found it more stable with the extra weight. The anamorphic lens is substantially lighter.

10. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper New Member

Karen,

You shouldn't use the weight kit unless you are using an attached lens. You should be able to balance it without the weight kit.

11. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

Just an update on Karen's balancing struggle, for future readers of this thread, and how it was resolved.

At some point in setting up her Counterweight, the adjustable arms of the kit were reversed and mounted on the side of the bracket facing the operator (you can see this in the photos she shared above). This dramatically shifted the weight toward the operator and resulted in her not being able to push the stainless weights far enough forward to balance the setup. Once the arms were switched and installed as seen below, she was able to balance the build as expected.

When you are working with the Counterweight kit, you should have free access to the knobs that mount it to the Movi, unobstructed by the movable arms. Like this:

CW.jpg

John Chu likes this.