/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian Pan Axis Problem - Crawling

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Alexander Jenal, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Alexander Jenal

Alexander Jenal New Member

Hi,
    I'm using the Cinestar 3 axis gimbal with 3 Radian stabilization modules. The RC part consist of a Graupner MX-16s remote and a Jeti transmitter/receiver (MK2) system (PPM configuration). It's all in all a very suitable system for us, except for the strange behavior described below:

The problem occurs when the system is operated in "stabilized slew" mode. Even there is a zero stick position, the pan axis has a slight rotation clockwise (in most cases) - reminds me of snails crawling ;). The speed varies from barely perceptible to clearly visible. Sometimes slewing the pan axis increases this effect even more.
    I have updated the firmware to version 1.03 and I varied the deadband settings with no effect. The gimbal is hanging and balanced as shown in the tutorials. I also changed the radians with each other. Power was supplied by lipos, ac adapter and linear dc power supply (a sufficient amount "amps" was taken into account)... no effect.

Any help and suggestion is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Alex.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Alex:
    Do you have the Cinestar suspended by the battery plate or on the ground? Certainly when the Cinestar is on the ground you will see rotation in pan.

I've noticed that there is "crawl" in the pan axis even when the Cinestar is suspended. This is normal. You'll find that it does not affect the Cinestar when it's flying and the torque from the motors/props is present.

Andy.

3. Edward Chegodaev

Edward Chegodaev New Member

Hi all,
    I'm using the Cinestar 3 axis gimbal with 3 Radian stabilization modules. The "Tilt" and "Roll" axes work perfectly!
    But there is an unclear problem with unit for the "Pan" axis Radian.

After ON power supply, green LED quickly blinks within 2-3 seconds.
    After that Radian doesn't become normally efficient and has no continuous luminescence green LED.
    After 2-3 seconds of fast blinking (frec 8-10 Hz), green LED has constant slow blinkings, approximately with a frequency of 1-2 Hz.
    The Radian module doesn't work.
    When I connect USB a programmator and I look settings with PC, everything works well.
    Reading and record in the Radian module - too works normally.

All three modules from recent a "problem series" which could will turn on normally, or to become hollow in a programming mode (green and yellow LED's). I constantly use a cap (jamper from Spectrum) for the 6th channel of all Radians modules.
    As, in all three modules, I established Radian Firmware 1.03. For management by radio, I use PWM a signal.
    Power was supplied by lipos, BEC gives out 5,1 volts 5 Amp.
    As, I already did reset the Radian module to the factory default values.
    If to write down a mode for Roll-1, servo starts rotating in one party.
    If I change a mode for Pan-1, again begins as I wrote at the beginning.

Earlier, one or two times, this module normally joined and it was efficient.
    After rest about 1 month, now it again doesn't join.
    Two other Radian modules, after ON power supply, pass to a normal operating mode and thus green LED shows a continuous luminescence.
    Why Radian for the Pan axis, doesn't want to work normally and always blinks green LED?

Thanks.
    Edward.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Edward:

Firstly if it's not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/

The pan sensor's slow flashing of the green LED means that the Mode for the sensor is currently: OFF (disabled).

That raises the question as to how you are controlling the Mode for the pan sensor?
    Question 1: Can you tell me exactly how you have the Radian sensors connected? For example:
    Pan Sensor:​
    Port​
    1. From roll sensor​
    2.​
    3. To Tilt sensor​
    4. To Pan Servo​

Question 2. Then could you follow this procedure please:
    a. With the gimbal powered off, connect up the USB and adapter from your PC to the pan Radian sensor.
    b. Click on the Connect button to connect to the Radian sensor, and check you have a connection.
    e. Click on the Read button.
    f. Take a screen shot of the Diagnostic and Configuration windows and post it to this thread with your response to Question 1 above.
    Thanks
    Andy.

5. Edward Chegodaev

Hi Andy,
    Thanks for the answer.
    I apologize concerning a name, I didn't know about so severe rules at your forum. Already I changed a nickname.

Concerning your first question:
    I connected all Radians separate cables directly to the PWM receiver signals.
    The first contact (No.1) of Radian Pan, goes to the first channel of the receiver (from a proportional control channel of "Roll" on the transmitter).
    For the second question, here the picture which you asked:

[​IMG]

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Not a problem, Edward.
    As I hope you will find, this is very friendly, helpful forum that is populated by professionals or those with very professional approaches to aerial imaging.

Thank you. How are you controlling the Mode of the Pan sensor, please? Right now, as you can see, it is in Stabilized (the Red slider is in the middle -- and the fact that it is red suggests that it is not being controlled at all).

Do you have any connection to Port 2 of the Pan sensor to control the Mode?
    The Modes are described under Step 7, Flight Tuning, of the Radian documentation.

Thanks
    Andy

7. Edward Chegodaev

Port 2 of the Pan sensor meanwhile at me isn't connected anywhere and hangs the free.
    This port is supposed to be used from the discrete channel for the "parking brake" mode.
    In the same way meanwhile aren't connected anywhere port 2, at both other Radian modules, which perfectly efficient.
    Where the dog here is buried?

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Edward:

Can you confirm that you have upgraded all the sensor firmware to version 1.03 please -- there was an electrical noise issue with PWM on the previous version.

I think what may be happening is that there is electrical noise that is causing problems without there being any mode control on Port 2.
    I'm speculating that your dog is electrically noisy! :)

Might it be possible for you to connect up an RC channel temporarily as a mode control just to see? Having a signal, power and ground on Port 2 will eliminate noise on port 2.

Andy.

9. Edward Chegodaev

Andy, and when in November I received new Radian, I checked the firmware version.
    There was version 1.03 is established.
    But besides, I loaded version 1.03 from your site, and once again replaced firmware in each of three modules.

I tried several times, and tried just once again, removed the plug from port-2.
    Changed nothing, the module doesn't work (after still initialization, the module continues to blink slowly green LED.
    Meanwhile extraneous electric noises have no place to undertake.
    The video transmitter too is disconnected. On each cable I strung a ferrite ring and reeled up the filter.
    The oscilloscope shows pristine current pure power supply, without noisy pulsations.

In your instruction it is written that when green LED slowly blinks, it means that there is no servo initialization.
    But servo serviceable, I checked it several times... I do not understand ... :(

10. Colin

Colin Member

Edward, we have been having a similar issue. Only our PAN has a mind of its own in slew mode. Unit was returned to our dealer who labelled the unit as faulty. This is our third unit. Perhaps no mater what you do it will never change. I have written directly to Tabb but as of yet he has failed to reply. It seems to be a common issue now with a few of the forum members. I thought it may have been something to do with the power surge going through the first unit in line. Dealer hasn't a clue either.

11. Edward Chegodaev

Colin, I initially too had a thought that is the defective module. But nevertheless, it several times was normally efficient! I have a thought that somewhere in the module there lives "electric snot" (the bad soldering of contact).

Tim Foster likes this.
  12. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Edward have you tried swapping the Pan radian with one of your other Radian to see if you might have a defective unit?

13. Edward Chegodaev

Gary, so far I have not changed specifically modules places, as they are beautiful, each glued to his seat.
    Tomorrow, I can switch to other cables and conduct comparative tests ...

14. Alberto Restrepo

Andy I installed the Radian and tested in flight today, but in doing the pan, the image vibrates, not smooth. But is more pronounced when the pan is on the right. What happens?

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's curious. It suggests that it might be mechanical. You might want to check that the pan belt is tight by loosening off the servo clamps, tensioning the belt and re-tightening the clamps.

Let me know if that doesn't help things.
    Andy.

16. Alberto Restrepo

I already did that. Tighten the three belts and keep doing the pan as strobe.

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Seems odd that it would be asymmetric, doesn't it?
    I'm not sure how you could introduce that by way of inadvertent adjustments on the transmitter.
    I think I'd be tempted to replace the pan servo with one of the others just to see if the symptoms change.

Andy,

18. Alberto Restrepo

Andy, I not have much experience with this. I would like you to tell me I schedule each Radian and what the appropriate settings. I place it in the pan in PPM, but in the tilt and roll appears as SBUS, and not let me put it in PPM. What am I doing wrong?

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Alberto:
    You're not doing anything wrong.
    Your receiver talks PPM to the first sensor, but then each other sensor talks S.bus. Everything's OK! :)

Andy.

20. Alberto Restrepo

Also like to know the correct way to update them.