/dist/images/branding/favicon

Osmo Pocket - threat or no-contest?

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Rick Bronks, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Rick Bronks

Rick Bronks Active Member

Thought I’d kick the conversation off because it’s rather inevitable that most of us will be thinking about it.

With the new Osmo Pocket annouced yesterday I’m wondering what you think about this as a gimbal. Obviously the quality of the image is highly dependent on the camera in the smartphone but if we take a ‘standard’ to be an iPhoneX or similar shooting 4K 60p or this new little pocket thing.

I have to admit it does look promising - but I don’t think that it will have the same robust stability as the MCR.. and it’s more expensive and limited to the camera is comes with BUT it’s tiny and may have a place alongide my Movi - I’m wondering though all your thoughts on it - and would you have reconsidered the Movi if this was available at the time?

Will it cannibalise Movi sales? I suspect the Movi is aimed at a more pro audience than the Osmo Pocket too.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Personally, different strokes for different folks. Everything has a niche. Don't know if you saw the announcement but Movi is now available directly from the Apple store. May end up actually being on the shelf in some of the sticks and bricks store. That opens up another entire market of users.

3. Rick Bronks

I did see the announcement and it's great news because it will open up the floor for hopefully faster firmware and improvements. I feel the software on the Movi is still lacking behind - WAY behind DJI and the native app still has a way to go before becoming more pro-centric.

I was wondering though - if the images are similar (smartphone Vs. dedicated camera) what is the difference - what's the different strokes though? Upgradeability on the Movi - in that we can use future smartphones with it.. but what else. I'd like to open the discussion to why the Movi would be a better option if we look at the market as it is today.

4. Simon Hughes

Simon Hughes Member

Absolutely! I bought the MCR based upon its potential; follow-focus/lock-on etc and other discussed features. But, so far, they don't even have a released firmware version that corrects the flippin' horizon issues! Very disappointed in their commitment to developing this product. The hardware itself is certainly what I'd consider of "pro" build, but the software is laughably amateur.

5. Kevin P Riley

Kevin P Riley Active Member

Pretty sure I'm gonna get one, it looks really interesting and I am thinking it will make some shots easier to get and I am intrigued by some of the add ons.

6. Rick Bronks

I have the Osmo Pocket now. for what it is - and the size.. it's very very impressive.

The obvious down side is that it's not as robust as the MCR - and of course the camera is the camera you can't change when a new phone comes out etc.

7. Kevin P Riley

Kevin P Riley Active Member

Pretty sure my kids are getting me one for Christmas, can’t wait to take one for a spin.

Did you get any accessories for it?

8. Rick Bronks

I actually had a bunch of things on order - but then cancelled them. Here's my thoughts...

- I thought the beauty is that it's so small. Adding things would make this into something it's not. I ordered the control wheel - then realised it wont fit into the case with it - nor can you connect your phone to it - so you can't use pro mode properly.

-When you select pro mode and then disconnect the camera from the phone it sticks in pro mode but as soon as you change a setting you have to leave pro mode.

- in usual DJI style - the accessories are no where to be seen. I am travelling soon and there's no point in waiting for something that wont arrive until the new year.

- I am reticent to buy tonnes of accessories - it pushes up the cost of the 'kit' and I dont think it's worth the price. You'll be adding £200 plus onto the cost of the kit. This makes it the same price as a full size gimbal for mirrorless etc. I dont think it's worth the investment.

-I may invest in some ND filters when they are available but nothing else. I liked the idea of the charging case but it's likely to cost a lot and I think it's not worth it unless this is your main 'tool'. For me it's a fun thing to keep in my pocket for trips instead of using my smartphone. It's really not good enough for much pro work - perhaps 'sneaking' cameras into places this makes it easier.. BUT it's not great in low light so your usage may be limited by this.

The MCR is an incredibly well built tool - and with a smartphone and external lenses can produce great work.. I was going to take the MCR on my trips but now the Osmo is coming instead. I'm not shooting stuff for my clients so the size and weight can be traded off for portability etc.