/dist/images/branding/favicon

Powering Alta 8 with TB50 batteries

Discussion in 'ALTA 8' started by Daniel Waghorne, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Daniel Waghorne

I've seen the adapters to run the Movi Pro on DJI TB50 batteries for a while now, but just recently I saw a Movi XL being powered by four TB50 batteries. Would this mean, in theory, you could power the Alta 8 with four TB50's and the same adapter? Does anyone have experience with this?

2. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

Hi Daniel, Whether it is possible or not is irrelevant. Normal, non smart lipo batteries that are properly cared for are much safer than the DJI batteries. There is no way on earth that I would ever power a machine like the Alta with those batteries. Have you not read about the sudden power failure that the DJI M210 and Inspire 2 have been suffering over another crappy firmware update from DJI?

Wayne Mann
    www.helicamhighdefmedia.com

3. Daniel Waghorne

Yes, I have read about the sudden power failure. I have 40 TB50's I use between my two Inspire 2's and have never had an issue. I'm just curious to see what other options we may have for power solutions, that's all.

4. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

TB50 - 4280mAh, my smallest Alta battery 10,000mAh, my largest Alta battery, 16,000 mAh. The C rating is lower, even in parallel, the weight is higher per mAh, even with the seriously pricey fast chargers the charge time for the 6, not 4 that it would take to approach the flight times of my smallest battery is still longer than a 2C charge on my smallest batteries. In the field, I can have a pair recharged from the car in under 20 minutes. The Intelligent 16,000 Tattu is $369 (Tattu Plus LiPo Smart Battery Pack 16000mAh 22.2V 15C 6S with AS150+XT150 plug for UAV Drone Integrated with Smart...) and 4 TB50's cost $636. I use TB50 bats in the MoVI Pro but it doesn't make sense to me to use them to power the Alta. Besides that, the great iCharger 308Duo, make that probably the best charger for the standard lipo's will run of a simple power tap to a car battery and it is really affordable.

5. Daniel Waghorne

Thanks Rick, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. I appreciate the in-depth info.