/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mimic Direct Mode Shake

Discussion in 'MIMIC' started by Polly, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Polly

Polly New Member

Hi All,

I'm a camera assistant working with the Movi Pro and the Mimic on a TV show and one of the operators would like smooth operation of all three axis on the Movi Pro while using the Mimic on a fluid head.

The problem I'm having is that in Direct Mode (to enable the operator the control of all three axis) I'm getting 'shaking' of the Movi Pro. I'm then going into my tuning, by Autotuning and then adjusting that tuning manually but still the Movi Pro is 'shaking' and just can't provide a stable shot while in Direct Mode (the other three Mimic Tilt mixes - Majestic Pan, Majestic Pan and Tilt and Level Roll) all give a good operation).

Any ideas on how to improve operation under Direct Mode so Pan, tilt and the roll can look shootable and not 'shaky'?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Polly

Polly New Member

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Polly we need first and LAST name please.

5. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Polly, I've been reading about this 'shaking' issue for a while on the Forum and I don't remember if anyone from Freefly has officially responded to it. I've seen it in my Mimic too on occasion, but it goes away when I keep the Mimic still, like mounted to a tripod. I can't tell if it's an issue with the Mimic being sensitive, Radio signal overload, or poor technique. I know many people have complained about it here on the Forums, and it sounds worse on some units than mine has been -- has anyone emailed with Freefly to get a response?

First important thing is to let the Mimic boot up while it remains perfectly still. Set it on a table or something while you gently power it on, and wait several seconds until the Status light turns green. Having the Movi remain still while booting it up helps too, often reducing the drifting (anecdotally).

Second, you need some distance between the Mimic and the Movi because the radio signal is very powerful and can 'Swamp' the radio, causing the twitching. Get 10-15 feet away, or remove the Mimic's antenna if you're really close. You can see the radio strength on the last page of the Movi Pro.

If you're still having issues, you can try to email Freefly support directly. support@FreeflySystems.com Please report here what advice they offer!

6. Bayena Sosa

Bayena Sosa New Member

I don`t understand your "shaky" meaning. Are you trying to say that it looks like a handheld shot? or like motors shaking?

7. Mark Hoffman

Mark Hoffman Active Member

I am experiencing the same issue as the op. Has anyone found a fix for this?

8. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Do you have any other receivers plugged in? Like Movi controller, Alpha Wheels, Spektrum ? Even if the other transmitter is off, I saw Mimic shaking from having the receiver plugged in.

9. Mark Hoffman

Mark Hoffman Active Member

Graham

I remember you mentioning other receivers in a past thread so I did unplug the Movi controller rx but that was not the problem. Everything worked fine 2 days ago with a lightweight RED build but today with a slightly heavier build (light ziess zoom) the Pro is bouncing all over the place in direct mode. It works fine in majestic except for the fact the it kind of rocks into its final position at the end of a move if you are going on the fast side. I've pretty much ruled out any rf interference as the issue and I've tried several different tunes but that is not it either. I did try to keep everything as still as possible on boot up but no luck there either.