/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi Pro side to side movement when walking.

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Adam Brennan, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

I haven't used my MoviPro much but I took it out and used it. I am getting side to side (left to right, right to left ) movement when I am walking with it. The vertical axis looks good. How do I adjust this side to side movement out? Do I need to use the Apple app or can I adjust from the MoviPro itself?

Thanks in advance,

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

It's panning left to right when you walk, or it's moving left to right? Panning could be correctable through the app, but if you're seeing footsteps, then the settings won't help.

Feel free to post screenshots of all your settings.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Adam, remember that the Movi removes rotational movement about each of the three axes, but it cannot remove longitudinal motion along the axes. So if your gait is such that it induces longitudinal left/right motion you may have to adjust the way that you walk.

The short answer is walk like Groucho Marx or pretend you're carrying two cups of coffee, both cups very full and you need to avoid spilling the coffee! :) I know some folks who practice with actual cups but full of water (there being no point in wasting good coffee!).

Hope that helps
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

4. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Vertical movement up and down seems to be fine. It's when I am walking the footage moves slightly left to right (Pan). I thought there was a setting where I can open up the window so the left to right movement is dampened?

5. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

6. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

I do see my vertical movement also needs improvement. But I have to work on that more. It's the left to right movement I believe can be adjusted out in the settings I believe?

7. Graham Futerfas

Yes, you can increase Majestic Pan Window, but I kind of assumed that might be kind of obvious to you, Adam, because you've been in the Movi world a long time. It could also be filter oscillation, or maybe a bad interaction of settings... If you can post all your settings, and maybe some footage that shows the problem, I could offer more in terms of consultation, but I think you would know the places to start.

8. Graham Futerfas

Sorry, I just saw your post of the footage. Haven't you posted that here before a while back?

Are you using a support vest of any kind, or just holding in your hands? It definitely feels kind of stiff to me.

9. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

It's hand held. I was using a steady rig vest before but took it off because it was causing more issues of jerking back and forth when walking. I think I need to dampen the pan setting. Is that on the Movi Pro or on the App where I do that?

10. Graham Futerfas

In the app, you can adjust Majestic Windows and Smoothing. I suggest taking both to extreme values to get a sense of what they do. There are trade-offs when you use them high or low, so I often adjust based on the shot.

Having a bit more smoothing and a higher window might help you a bit.

11. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

I am going to try that
    Thank you