/dist/images/branding/favicon

Anyone working on a hydrofoil?

Discussion in 'ARC Universal Motor Drive' started by Dylan Glockler, Sep 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dylan Glockler

I'm obsessed with owning a hydrofoil and noticed that was one of the icons on the ARC page. Anyone working on this? I’ve looked casually into sourcing parts.

I live on a boat, cruisIng the world and I use a OnWheel for exploring and have a Hobie Mirage Islander but it’s a lot of work to get out and setup. A personal hydrofoil is next in my radar.

Oli Harris likes this.
  2. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

I really want one as well, but haven't made any progress yet. Been prioritizing a few other projects ahead of this! I need one before next summer for sure!

3. Jeremy Elliott

Jeremy Elliott New Member

I am working on a hydrofoil and am also currently testing the ARC200 for hydrofoil.

4. Dylan Glockler

That's awesome to hear.. how far along?

5. Jeremy Elliott

I have had it in the water since July 2018, however I have taken everything apart so that I can service and improve some parts of the drive unit. I am also testing various ESC's and motors so that I can optimise it while my board is being improved as well.

6. Dylan Glockler

Amazing - are you using the ARC200 now? Did you make the board yourself? From scratch or using an existing board/platform?

How's your controller link up? I know the commercial e-foil they sell for like $12K has a wireless controller.

Can I ask what motor you're using and where you picked that up?

We have pretty good tools on board (live on a boat) but not a ton of space to put it together, but since I'm always on the water and usually in warmer climates, I'm in a prime position to put it to good use. I have a OneWheel on the land that I ride a lot..

the boat: www.wanderingwanderbird.com

I'd love to see some photos of your project if you're ever willing to share..

7. Jeremy Elliott

I haven't used the ARC200 on the foil yet, been hit with the flu pretty hard and waiting for my board to be returned to me.
    I have altered an existing kite slalom board, however I have now dropped it off at a SUP manufacturer for some alterations and I would rather spend my time on the electronics.
    I use a very basic skateboard remote, but I have changed the throttle pot to a Ebike thumb throttle which I then waterproofed. The throttle is not fully finished yet, but should be soon.
    Motor wise I am using an TFL SSS 5674 750Kv and am running it through a Torqeedo 1003 planetary gear. The stup works well and I am happy with it. Plenty of power! Others have used 56104 500KV motors with a 5:1 planetary gear or alternatively a 80100 100KV outrunner thats been adapted for salt water. Here is a full log of my last build: https://efoil.builders/t/jezzas-build-slow/976

Right now I am testing the ARC200 with various motor setups to see what would be the best option.

That boat is next level awesome!

Flying Rodeo makes great boards for efoils if you want to go the DIY route but dont want the hassle of fibreglass etc...