/dist/images/branding/favicon

JST GH 6 Pinout Mapping to Arduino Mega

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro API' started by Jeff Milton, Jul 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jeff Milton

Jeff Milton New Member

I’m following the Directions on the adr Freefly API documentation to make an Arduino Joystick controller. I’ve loaded the movi_pro_joystick code onto my Arduino Mega and connected it into COM 1 port on the MōVI Pro Gimbal Control Unit but its not working. I want to use this to control focus on my Red Scarlet-W.

I’d like to confirm the GH 6-pin connecter is connected to the right pins on Joystick Shield that’s hooked to my Arduino Mega.

On the Joystick Shield I’ve cut and connected the 5V pin to the 3.3V pin. Here is how I have it mapped.

• JST GH Pin 1 GND to GND on the Arduino
    • JST GH Pin 2 +5V to 3.3V Power on the Arduino
    • JST GH Pin 3 UARTn_TX to Communication TX 1 on the Arduino
    • JST GH Pin 4 UARTn_RX to Communication RX 0 on the Arduino
    • JST GH Pins 5 & 6 are not used

Rob Weidner likes this.
  2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Jeff: This is something that you might have to contact FF tech support directly to get a timely answer, so if I were you, I'd open up a ticket by sending an email to Freefly Support (support@freeflysystems.com) .

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Jeff Milton

Jeff Milton New Member

I tried opening a support ticket and Freefly says they don't support questions about their API

"Freefly's Technical Support team prioritizes end-user support and will not be able to answer API support requests."

Has anyone made the Arduino Joystick controller? I've followed the documentation, loaded their code and when I plug it in to my Movi Pro, I get nothing.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh. I didn't realize that there was no support for the API. My bad. Apologies for suggesting that strategy to you, Jeff.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Eric Bergez

Eric Bergez New Member

Jeff - the pin out for the JST connection on COM 1 can be found on Page 2 of the API. To answer your question, Yes, all 6 pins are used.
    1. GND
    2. +5V
    3. UARTn_TX
    4. UARTn_RX
    5. UARTn_CTS
    6. UARTn_RTX
    Note that the signal coming out of your device needs to level shifted down to 3.3V nominal as I believe that is what is required.

6. Eric Bergez

Eric Bergez New Member

Hi Jeff -

I'm Not sure but it does appear that Freefly does not use one of the cables...maybe it doesn't use the power cable?

I'm looking at my cable here on my MoVI XL and it is a 5 wire cable at the MoVI Rx end and a 6 wire JST GH connector at the MoVI XL end with only 5 wires. Pin-6 does not appear to be connected so it looks like the RTX is not needed...

Ths API says, "The connector needed to create a cable is a 6 pin “GH” series connector from JST, part number GHR-06V-S, crimp contacts part number SSHL-002T-P0.2. These are available on Digikey and other major distributors."

Thus, it appears you need only a 5 pin JST at the MoVI Rx and a 6 pin JST GH at the COM port.

Here is the cable they recommend buying: 5-Pin to 6-Pin JST

I'm also reading in the API that Flow Control is disabled/not used so technically both the CTS and RTS are not used thus only pins 1-4 would be necessary unless Freefly is doing something else on Pin5 which is not documented...

Hope this helps!

Eric

7. Eric Bergez

Eric Bergez New Member

Jeff -

Just read this online:

"...If the host is also expecting proper use of CTS/RTS it too might have issues when it comes to sending data to the module as it may not be told that the module is ready to accept its data. So [one] might also have to take the host CTS to 0V before it will communicate. However, taking host CTS to 0V or tying host CTS to RTS you have the same potential issues as the module sees in the issues above.

Solutions

1. Tie the host CTS to 0V." *

So, maybe this is what is happening with Pin5....?

Eric

* https://www.lairdtech.com/blog/uart-flow-control-rtscts-necessary-proper-operation-wireless-modules

8. Dominik Lenk

Dominik Lenk New Member

Did you ever end up solving this?

Also, how is one supposed to connect Serial and Serial1? (The Arduino example uses two serial connections when running on a Mega.)

9. Jeff Milton

Jeff Milton New Member

I'm still not having any luck with this. I'm running build version 1.5 on the Movi. I've gone into my RED Scarlet W and enabled Serial Red Command Protocol (RCP) in the Communication menu. I've tried both the Com1 and Com 2 ports on the Movi.

I tried putting Pin5 to ground which I'm assuming that is the same as taking it to 0v.

The status window I see in COM3 window in the Arduino UI shows I'm not getting any data back from the Movi.

MoVI Gimbal and Status Data:
    Test control mode: Gimbal rate
    Left Battery: 0.00 V
    Right Battery: 0.00 V
    Gimbal Position (quaternion): 0.0000, 0.0000, 0.0000, 0.0000
    Camera: Stopped
    Lens Range Limits: Focus: OFF, Iris: OFF, Zoom: OFF
    Focus Position: 0 counts
    Iris Position: 0 counts
    Zoom Position: 0 counts
    Focus State: Disabled
    Iris State: Disabled
    Zoom State: Disabled

Is there anything I need to set on the Movi or does the Red Camera need to turned on first before the Movi?