/dist/images/branding/favicon

Optical Stabilisation on the XS and XS Max

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Rorick Edge, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Interesting comment from Taab Firchau at 4:40 (see also 6:23):

What's not clear is whether what he sees as an improvement is the result of the phone or iOS 12, and how this affects using the Movi, if at all.

#1 Rorick Edge, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  2. Christian Robinson

Christian Robinson New Member

Thanks for sharing this Rorick. I'll watch the full video tonight.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  3. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

I can confirm that the OIS on the XS and XS max works much better than the iPhone X! I see very few of the little disturbances now when shooting. I think Apple significantly increased the power / bandwith of the OIS system for this revision which really helped. I will keep begging them to get rid of it all together!

Edrolfo Leones and Rorick Edge like this.
  4. Christian Robinson

Christian Robinson New Member

Thank for the confirmation Tabb.
    [​IMG]
    Disappointment trampled my excitement like a Clydesdale channeling Gregory Hines when I realized the 8+ could not deliver the imagery I specifically purchased it to create. It also spurred on a year of experimenting to find a solution.
    I had accepted keeping the iPhone 8+ after testing the magnet mod, but now... I might have to reconsider.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Christian: Sorry to learn of your disappointment, but I compliment you on your metaphor: "Disappointment trampled my excitement like a Clydesdale channeling Gregory Hines...." At least that gave me a smile for today....

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Interesting whether this is also true, as it should be, of the just-released XR.

John Chu likes this.
  7. Andre Yew

Andre Yew New Member

Hi guys, I shot a test this weekend on an iPhone 7+ and the MCR (in Filmic Pro). I'm wondering if the little surges you see in my video below as I'm pulling out on the building with the pink columns (about 12 seconds in) is a result of the iPhone's mechanical stabilizer interacting with the gimbal. It sounds like using a Xs could fix this problem?

There's also a weird robotic transition after the barrel roll begins, around 21 seconds in. Could this be a stabilizer interaction issue or do I just need to practice my rolls? Since I shot with Filmic, the MCR was in its default majestic mode, though with custom autotuning and zero window response time in the Movi app before. Thanks for any help!