/dist/images/branding/favicon

Interesting Supplemental Power Solution for the Movi?

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Rorick Edge, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

There's a Scottish company called Blind Spot Gear that is coming out with a device called the Power Junkie. It's currently available via Kickstarter/Indiegogo for £40 (as I understand it, there will also be a £12 shipping fee). Delivery is scheduled for January.

The Power Junkie uses a Sony NP-F style battery to supply power via DC (7.2v), MicroUSB (5v) and USB-C (5v). Among other things, it could easily be mounted on a Hoodie or to the 1/4"-20 female thread on the bottom of the Movi (although in the latter case it might be a good idea to use some gaffer tape on the battery/Power Junkie to address the fact that the battery will be upside down :)). The Power Junkie can also be used to charge the NP-F battery itself via the USB-C port.

Sony NP-F batteries come in several different capacities and are ubiquitous in filmmaking and sound recording. Sony's own are expensive, but several companies, such as Anton Bauer and Watson (the latter is thought to be a B&H Photo brand name) make less expensive copies.

A high-capacity NP-F battery might deliver longer run time than, or additional run time to, the standard Movi 18650 batteries. It sounds like it could also be used to charge/power the smartphone one is using, and, at least when the Movi is not in use, to charge the Movi's 18650 batteries.

The Indiegogo page is at https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/power-any-camera-more-with-the-power-junkie#/

There are three videos on that page, one by Blind Spot, one by Cinema5D and one by an independent filmmaker. The Blind Spot video was shot partly at B&H and includes positive comments from B&H employees, which suggests to me that B&H may plan to carry this product when it is released.

It's worth noting that the price mentioned by one of the B&H employees - US$35 - is quite a bit less than the actual Indiegogo price (£40/$53). The Indiegogo price presumably includes 20% VAT, but there is no indication that Blind Spot intends to offer the device outside Europe ex-VAT, which would result in a U.S. price of about $42.

This is Blind Spot's video:

And Cinema5D's:

#1 Rorick Edge, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Edrolfo Leones likes this.
  2. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

It turns out that there are several YouTube videos on using NP-F batteries to power Sony mirrorless cameras, which are notorious for poor battery life.

Blind Spot Gear’s Power Junkie appears to be a simpler, much more compact version of these Do It Yourself projects, and adds DC, MicroUSB and USB outlets, the ability to charge the battery via the USB port and a 1/4”-20 mounting thread.

I think that the Power Junkie might be useful for long Movi time lapses and for charging one’s smartphone. On this, see Edrolfo Leones’s recent thread at https://forum.freeflysystems.com/in...r-movi-robot-iphone-via-usb-c-splitter.12689/

Personally, I’m inclined to purchase a Power Junkie because I have a Sony RX0, which I use in part with the Movi, and I think that the Power Junkie could be useful for powering the camera directly and for charging RX0 batteries, although I do carry a couple of spares. For these purposes, the Power Junkie is like using a power bank, but with a better form factor for photography and the convenience of a 1/4”-20 mount. One could use it with a GoPro in the same way.

At this point, I’m convinced that this is a legit product and that it just might come in handy. That said, I’m going to try and contact Blind Spot re what appears to be rather healthy pricing ($70 shipped to the U.S.). If B&H carries this product, I suspect that their pricing will be more attractive.

#2 Rorick Edge, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Edrolfo Leones likes this.