/dist/images/branding/favicon

ALTA 8 / MoVI PRO FIZ Control

Discussion in 'ALTA 8' started by Tom Comet, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Tom Comet

Tom Comet Member

We have been super happy since moving to the ALTA8 / MoVI Pro ecosystem a couple of weeks ago. We have had three commercial shoots and loads of testing at the shop all with great results. I love the ease of use, simple set up and amazing quality of movement on BOTH devices and how well both devices work together. Amazing!

As always Producers, DPs and Directors want us to fly bigger lenses with more control (FI & sometimes Z). In order to stay within our All Up Weight (AUW) it will definitely be necessary to offer our own light weight FIZ system. Currently we offer the DJI Focus motor but we need at least a 2 channel setup and something way more pro. The other problem is the movie/commercial world is SO fickle and they need things to be "just so" or else they just storm off and start yelling - not good!

My needs are definitely different than a regular MoVI ground OP due to weight constraints. I want to work within the MoVI/Mimic controller ecosystem in order to save weight and keep things as simple as possible. These are my thoughts and research so far. Any positive input would be greatly appreciated.

Focus Motors:
    There are only a few choices for motors that are plug and play in the MoVI realm. This is what I am told works from the Freefly site and my notes on each.

HEDÉN - look like the best quality but pricey and more weight in the sense of LEMO plugs adapted to the MoVI plug
    Hocus - I don't see much info here but it looks like they need an adapter to work???
    Chrosziel - Look awesome and light weight. 24V native motor = good! Native MoVI plug ends (saves weight). Right now this is my top choice.
    RED - looks very heavy and not even sure if they still make them.
    Preston - Amazing quality but heavy and big $$$
    Redrock - Look good. They make their own "Commander" controller that works with Mimic. Native MoVI plug ends (saves weight). My second choice but don't look as good as Chrosziel.

Hand Controller:
    I only see TWO that work within the native system. PILOT and the Redrock Commander.

PILOT - looks very nice but different than many focus pullers are used to dealing with (Preston etc). Will it be "acceptable" to that fickle demographic? What are people's experiences??

Redneck Commander - I have not seen the Commander first hand but from pics and video it looks to be more cheaply made and I would definitely worry about it in the film and TV world. Any reviews??

That's it... Thanks!

2. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

I use a couple of RedRock micro motors, Bush Pilot and the Mimic all the time. I also rigged up a Futaba transmitter so I can switch back and forth depending on the shot. Never had a single issue with the RedRock (movi) motors, but some folks have. On a side note, when I'm using the MoVI pro single op on my Segway MiniPro I'll use the RedRock Satellite to help control the gimbal. If I get a chance later today I'll post photos.

Brian Valente likes this.
  3. Brian Valente

Brian Valente New Member

Hi Tom - We're really proud of Commander, it's a high quality product and everyone who's used it in person remarks on that.

Drop us a line we'd be happy to loan one for you to try out.

On the Redrock motors, we highly HIGHLY recommend using the latest firmware from Freefly. They fixed some things in this latest release that are really important for all motors and controllers.

For anyone who has Torque motors, we also announced a trade-up program to our new SLS motors, they are smaller lighter and stronger than anything else we've released. redrockmicro.com/tradeup

hth

Brian

4. Tom Comet

Tom Comet Member

Hi Brian. Based on you and Alejandro's email outreach and exemplary customer service for someone who was not yet a customer I decided to purchase the Commander / 3 Motor SLS combo and give it a try. If all goes well we will probably pick up a Navigator unit for hand held, single OP too. I will certain report back after we have had a chance to test in the real world.

TC

5. Brian Valente

Brian Valente New Member

Thanks for the opportunity Tom. I think you'll like what you see.

Brian

6. Daniel Waghorne

Hey Tom, how are the Redrock motors working for you? IN the same boat as you and had the Chrosziel's recommended, bu the Redrock SLS motors look really great.

7. Tom Comet

Tom Comet Member

I have to say that so far the RedRock SLS motors are working great. They are very polished and professional looking and VERY lightweight which was a big thing for us. Apart from our little calibration issue which is now resolved, they are plug and play with the MoVI Pro which is amazing! They are smooth and very responsive and when combined with the Commander unit, a joy to work with.

The caveat here is that, so far, we have only tested at our shop and not in a real world production environment. Tomorrow is our first day on set with the new rig so I will report back after that.

8. Tom Comet

Tom Comet Member

[QUOTE="Redneck Commander [/QUOTE]

That is pretty funny... I just realized what auto correct did there...