/dist/images/branding/favicon

Binding a Movi Pro & an RC Controller?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by steve green, Sep 20, 2018.

1. steve green

steve green Member

Hi all,
    I just bought a movi pro and need to buy an rc controller for it, and get it bound. I've spent the better part of the day searching for any info on how to get this done. Is there an article, video, instructions of any kind to walk me through it? I found a step by step for an M15 but the the pro. Also, what exactly do I need to buy? Just the Spectrum or Futaba controller, or do I need a receiver as well. I bought the 5.00 cables for each when I bought the unit from freefly.
    Any help would be really appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Steve

2. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Hey steve i would recommend the futaba t14sg controller for remote. links are for reference

https://www.quadrocopter.com/Futaba-14SGA-24G-R7008SB-Air-Bi-Directional-Mode-2_p_1486.html

You will also need to buy a rc receiver this one is plug and play futuba r7008bsb

https://www.quadrocopter.com/Futaba-R7008SB-24GHz-FASSTest-Telemetry-Rx-14SG-18MZ_p_1487.html

then you need the cable to bind/link the two together

you can fast foward starts around the 7- 8min mark is the part you want to see you need a small battery connect to the receiver.

Plug the receiver into COM2 port

and your done.

oh then mapping lol

3. steve green

steve green Member

Jason,
    Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for.
    Cheers,
    Steve

4. steve green

steve green Member

Trying to save some $ over the Futuba unit. I found a Spectrum DX7S, will that work with the Movi Pro? If so which receiver should I buy to pair with it?

5. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

the ar7700 receiver is the best one because it has the same amount of channels on it. But any spektrum receiver will work with any controller. you just get more or less channels to work with a different receiver ;)

6. Eirik Fiskkjønli

Eirik Fiskkjønli New Member

Steve, did you purchase a controller?

So i am also looking for some info around binding a RC controller to my movi pro, would love the freefly controller but it is just too expensive.

Is it possible to control a fiz motor from a RC-controller?
    How many channels do we really need for controlling: pan, tilt, roll, zoom?
    My guess is four would be nice to know what else is nice to have control over.

Appreciate any info.

7. steve green

steve green Member

Hey Eirik,
    I did get an RC controller rigged up for the Movi Pro. I went pretty basic, just control of the of the movi, no motors. I'm not the one to give you technical answers pertaining to motors and channels. Having said that I'd be happy to answer the basic stuff for you.

8. Eirik Fiskkjønli

Great, what controller did you choose?

I'm using the PS4 now together with the mimic so any controller would be an upgrade.

Maybe someone else can chime in on fiz setup.

Thanks.

9. steve green

steve green Member

I bought a Spektrum DX7 and a Spektrum AR8000 receiver. I then took them both to a local hobby shop and they did the binding for me in five minutes. I took it there because I didn't have a battery to power the receiver for the binding process. Then I spent and hour or so with the movi app on my phone getting the pan, tilt and roll assigned to the proper sticks. Basically, that's all the control that I have. I need the app to adjust the speed of each axis. For my purposes this works.

10. Stan Miskiewicz

Stan Miskiewicz New Member

I connected my dx6 to the movi it works.
    But after setting all the RC controls to max the movi moves slower ie pan tilt than it moves with the mimic. How do i get the speed the same using the RC as,fast as the mimics speed?
    Thank you

11. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

In your Dual Op settings in the App, try turning up Remote Rate Scale.... a lot. Let us know if that works.

12. Stan Miskiewicz

Bingo!
    That did t he trick..
    One other question...
    The throttle is suppose to control the pan or tilt speed but only effects the pan.
    Combined does both.
    How do I make it control pan and tilt separately?
    switch between the two?
    Pan and tilt?
    Thank you

#12 Stan Miskiewicz, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  13. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I'm not sure on your DX6. On my DX7s, there's a knob on the back of the controller labelled Aux 2 that controls Tilt Speed separate from Pan Speed.

14. Stan Miskiewicz

LOL, it's always that way.
    I thought my FPV controller would get it done.
    Just one more upgrade needed.
    Thank you for your help!

15. Robert Ruffo

Robert Ruffo Member

A Dx8e is cheap and a great option for controlling a Movi - same sticks and knobs as DX8 - only drawback is it does not come with a rechargeable battery but rather a tray of AAs - but you can just buy those in rechargeable form yourself. It also has a touch less range than a DX7s - but extremely unlikely to matter unless you are using a heli.

You will need a satellite receiver (but not the other part) to bind.

#15 Robert Ruffo, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  16. Eirik Fiskkjønli

17. Robert Ruffo

Robert Ruffo Member

That depends...

Yes if you are on M series Movi.

If you are using a Movi Pro, then you will also need a Spektrum 8010 receiver to do the binding (sorry, my post above only applies to M series Movis). These are often sold as kits with the satellite part. After the binding is done, then you can just just store the second receiver part in your case (in the event that it needs to be rebound, or bound to a new Spektrum Transmitter, later.)

If you look up "bind Spektrum DX8 to receiver" on youtube (without Movi also in the search), you will find a bunch of videos. It's not mega complicated, but does require a few cables that may or may not be included with the 8010 kit, along with a battery supplying correct voltage (certainly not in that kit, and not part of your Movi Pro kit). To verify this, call Spektrum Inc - they will give you the part numbers or sell them to you directly, as well as tell you which voltage battery to get.

If you know someone with an M series Movi, then you could use that to bind too. I've recently bound some receivers for friends using cable cams, because it's so simple to bind using a Movi series (two clicks, you're done, no extra cables needed).

The satellite receiver part doesn't care what it is connected to after binding. It just looks for the same transmitter being present, not the same device, and not even the other larger 8010 part (which is not what you bind to, you bind to the satellite part). After binding you could even hook up that receiver to an RC car, a cable cam, whatever, even using another 8010 type part, and it would still "see" the DX8e you bound it to and work right away.

Then.... You can download the Movi DX8 profile from the Freely help section. They have instructions on how to load it into your DX8. "Airplane profiles" as they are called on DX8, assign a few things so that they will work well with whatever device is desired.

After that... Both the Movi's second Op App screens and the DX8 itself are highly customizable. First thing I would do is label each channel as defined in App on your DX8e with stickers, as well as turn down Expo for Rudder (which is left horizontal stick) down to zero, so that you won't roll a bit as you move speed up and down with left stick speed control. But there is much more you can do to customize.

On the DX8e side, the controls have a name, on the Movi app side these same controls have a number ( For example DX8e "Rudder" = Movi App no.4)

You can figure out control names on DX8e side by going to the monitor page of its settings, and moving controls around. As you move those same controls, you will see a little grey background rise and fall within any controls that are assigned to it within the app, at the same time.

The little clicky things next to the sticks increment same values as sticks next to them. They do not re-center to zero like the sticks. So you can use the clicky thing under the rudder to increase or decrease roll if a camera does not look level because of how it is mounted. Or you could give a few clicks to the one under the pan stick to make your Movi pan around and around at a constant speed (happens more by mistake this one, so be aware - no way to turn it off that I have found yet). The little clicky things next to the sticks are not affected by the Expo settings of the sticks they are married to, so even if you essentially disabled Roll from the left stick("Rudder") with all Expo page values = 00, the companion clicky below it would still trim Roll all the same.

Not all options are revealed/changeable within the app - for example the switch that clicks between Off, Majestic and Full Second Op is to the left of the antenna - I have never seen an option that changes this - although it works really well, is standard if you are a renter, and really why bother changing it, so maybe that's why you can't.

Speaking of Majestic, even in Majestic Angle Mode for Tilt you can still nudge the tilt with the Spektrum, adding or subtracting from what the op would have the angle at if left to their own devices, and when you select "Smooth lock" for Tilt, the Spektrum fully controls Tilt, with first op movements not affecting Tilt at all, no matter what they do, and 1st op only fully controlling Pan and/or Roll (if Majestic Roll is enabled).

This above ability to separate axes between the two ops is in my opinion one of the huge benefits of a Spektrum or Movi Controller over the otherwise wondrous Mimic. The Mimic can only be used to control Pan and Tilt both, simultaneously, not only Tilt (real shame that is, but whatever... Maybe in some future firmware update...). Alpha Wheels also cannot separate out just Tilt. (At least not last time I checked, if this has changed, someone please let me know...)

A Spektrum or Movi Controller are also the only way to remotely disable motors without physically flipping the power switch on the Movi itself - really useful if something crazy happens with snagged cables or whatever and the op can't reach the switch easily (or it's on a Heli).

Hope this helps.

18. Eirik Fiskkjønli

Wow, you are the man.

This helps alot, thanks!

I do have a Movi Pro - and want to start stop the camera using the radio.
    I did ask above here if any of the FIZ motors could be operated by the radio, but guess not..

19. Robert Ruffo

Robert Ruffo Member

You need a Movi Controller for that (at least) and maybe also a Bush Pilot and Mimic (You should ask Freefly on need for more than Controller to control just focus - have never had need to pull zoom or iris remotely - it really does not come up as a real need very often except on helis)

You can trigger a Red camera remotely with just the Spektrum - but you need a 2nd receiver channel for just this. I've never found it necessary as I have a Redmote and other remote controllers - and even they are not super-necessary (again, unless you are going up in the air for long periods)

Alternatively you could add any remote focus system from a 3rd party vendor.

As for stick feel - I suggest you go to a rental place and try out a Movi Controller and/or a Spektrum, (pay them 100 bucks for time) . I love the Spektrum stick feel, but many others think the Movi Controller has a much better feel. It all comes down to very personal preference. There is no right or wrong answer as to which is "best" - although I'd say statistically more people prefer the Movi Controller stick. The Movi Controller also allows you to change any setting you like remotely without an iPad/iPhone or Android device - including changing Red settings, which you can't even do with the Movi app, and cannot wth a Spektrum - you can just use the Spektrum as a Red record trigger.

That said, the fewer cables you have dangling from the cam the MUCH better. To me an extra cable is not worth it just to start stop record - but then again we do not fly our Movis in the air.

20. Eirik Fiskkjønli

Reaching out for more help here.
    Struggling to load the freefly profiles..
    I get a ''Import status'' 2: 'DX8' File.

If someone has a preset for a DX8e I would be very happy.

Edit:
    Found a solution - https://spmtool.azurewebsites.net/
    Converted to DX9

#20 Eirik Fiskkjønli, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019