/dist/images/branding/favicon

Booting / Battery Issues

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Yuki Noguchi, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Yuki Noguchi

Yuki Noguchi New Member

Hi,

I m in middle of the shooting and we are having some booting/ power related problems.
    I uploaded my firmware before the shoot to 1.5.2. (Not sure if that’s the cause). We started seeing some of the batteries goes to 0% even tho it’s charged at lest 40% whenever the gimbal motor is over worked. Once it goes to 0% I need to reseat it or movi just dies in matter of seconds after. Then it got worse through out the day. Towards end of the shoot, we weren’t able to boot the movi anymore. It dies by the jolt of booting itself. It seems like booting process itself is overloading batteries. Once that happens I needed to take both batteries out and put new ones in (not even fully charged) and tries again. It takes long time to boot and sometimes it passes the process and survive.
    Even when it passes the process, we noticed that if I push gimbal a bit physically one of the batteries goes to 0% and after few seconds it dies. I
    Also time to time, from 40% batteries it goes down to critical battery error.
    Not sure what to do. I have 8 batteries and we try to pin any specific bad batteries but it seems that all of them have very similar behavior. Movi was powering only teradek bolt 500.
    Lmk if anyone has seen this or have any tips to solve the issue.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

The battery problems have been pretty well documented by users. Unfortunately, they need a lot of care, and many people don't know how to take care of them, and so they eventually don't last long and don't power the Movi or cameras.

One thing you can try: Put your batteries on the charger, and wait for the green light. Then look to see if the green light flashes to red every few seconds. That means it's balancing the cells inside the battery, basically trickle charging until the cells come up to an even voltage. You need to wait several hours for this process to finish and the light to stay green.

Often, in the rush of production, this isn't really practical and people have to take them off charge as soon as they're green, but it's bad for the battery.

What can be even worse is letting the batteries sit for long periods of time at full charge, which I'm sure many people do at the end of a job. They need to be drained to about 50%.

Many professional Movi Pro operators are switching to a solution from Ignite Digi, where we can use DJI TB-50 Ronin 2 batteries on the Movi Pro. It's not a cheap solution, unfortunately, but it is a game changer on the Movi Pro for those of us who power everything, including camera, through the gimbal.

3. Yuki Noguchi

Yuki Noguchi New Member

Yea. I have seen the batteries issues you mentioned. But it was working fine a month ago and now suddenly all the batteries seem to be dead (after firmware update).
    Do you think booting issues are definitely related to the bad batteries? It’s weired one that I haven’t seen it before. I have seen bad batteries tho.
    Also my Movi Pro seems to be very weak compared to m15 I used to have. Do you think it can be related to possible poor performance of my batteries?
    Just wanted to speculate a bit and I really hope this to be battery over the body issue.

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

It sounds like the batteries are dying when you draw a lot of current, like when you push on the motors, but it's hard to say. I personally don't think the firmware is causing the battery issue, but you can always revert to previous firmware if you want to test it.

Again, if the batteries were stored for a month at full charge, that could cause problems for them.

5. Yuki Noguchi

Yuki Noguchi New Member

Sounds good. Thanks for quick response. I will go grab couple batteries.