/dist/images/branding/favicon

Labor Day in Chicago / iPhone X

Discussion in 'Movi Showcase' started by Nguyen Nguyen, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Nguyen Nguyen

Nguyen Nguyen New Member

Still having the horizon level issue (you can see it in the shot where I'm walking across the bridge), but managed to salvage some good footage where the horizon wasn't noticeable. Didn't use LUTs - just colorgraded with the Lumetri color wheel. Let me know what you think? :)

Note: I know I'm not doing the "ninja walk" and you can notice up and down movements in a lot of the videos, but the focus was meeting up with a lot of friends for the first time in a while so didn't want to make them wait for me to get really good shots. Had to balance not being too annoying with the camera and still getting good camera work in haha. I have a Moment Wide and my anamorphic arrives next week, but still need to buy counterweights. Just holding off until this horizon issue is figured out.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  2. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Are you talking about the shot at 00:44?

3. Nguyen Nguyen

Nguyen Nguyen New Member

Yes. It’s not extremely noticeable (that’s why I kept the shot), but if you look at the bridge railing you can see it’s not straight across. In the barrel roll shots of the entire skyline, I tried to do a shot there from behind a tree to reveal the skyline, but couldn’t get the horizon straight no matter how balanced it was before turning the Movi on.

4. Rorick Edge

I think that this is a case of someone looking at his footage with a rigour that not one in a thousand viewers would bring to it :) If there's a problem, OK, but you sure have done a good job of disguising it. And do you really expect the Movi to maintain an absolutely perfect horizon while you are walking?

You asked for views on the colour grading. If you were a professional, I might observe that the grading of the shots at 00:08 and 00:19 comes across to me as different from the rest of the video. Maybe I noticed it because I like the colour in those shots quite a lot, and they sort of stand out. Seeing as how you're not a professional, I wouldn't fret about it. I'm being really picky.

I like the fact that you retained some of the ambient sound.

I imagine that your friends are pretty happy with this video, and that on future viewings it will bring back good memories.

#4 Rorick Edge, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  5. Nguyen Nguyen

Nguyen Nguyen New Member

Here’s the horizon issue on a more noticeable picture. This was after 3 attempts of balancing it, and no matter what, it wouldn’t return to horizon with roll lock on.

But anyway, thank you for the comments! Working on color grading a bit more — I can normally get nice colors but I haven’t really built the skill of consistent colors yet. Hopefully in time! As per the Movi staying level when I’m walking, I don’t expect perfection, but I expect a little better than the original DJI Osmo Mobile — I had it before I got the Movi and I never had issues with the horizon.

Attached Files:

Rorick Edge likes this.
  6. Gabe Ochoa

Gabe Ochoa Member

I've noticed horizon tilt on mine as well. Since I'm in Android though, I don't know if that's just a bug at the moment. It's easily fixed in post, but yeah, minor grrr.

7. Nguyen Nguyen

Nguyen Nguyen New Member

Yeah, it’s somewhat minor, but I’d rather have to crop in to fix it when it’s already smartphone footage lol. If this was an issue with all smartphone gimbals, then I’d deal with it, but I’ve really only seen this issue in cheap gimbals such as the Zhiyun ones. Getting a bit antsy as support is a little slow to respond and haven’t seen any acknowledgement from the devs on this issue.

8. Rorick Edge

9. Nguyen Nguyen

Nguyen Nguyen New Member