/dist/images/branding/favicon

Loss of Signal (failsafe) - duel op mode defaults to magestic

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Chris Bacik, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Chris Bacik

Chris Bacik New Member

Hi Guys,

Just bought a Movi Pro and while there are many things I like about it I am starting to realize there are a couple crucial features (that every other gimbal has) that are missing (dual op rate roll mode in particular).

The latest major problem I have stumbled across is when our Futaba radios lose signal, the gimbal defaults back to majestic mode. This is particularly a problem when the drone is far away and you have weak signal. If the signal every drops for even a split second, the shot is ruined because the gimbal quickly tries to recenter (we are using the Movi in handheld mode since we have landing gear). All I want the gimbal to do is stay in "locked mode" so if it looses signal the gimbal doesn't quickly jolt and the shot can be salvaged.

You would think the problem could be easily overcome by setting the failsafe on the Mode channel to go to "Lock Mode" but for some reason, the Movi will still default back to magestic mode.

Any solutions to this problem?

Chris

2. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

Hi Chris,

Either you are flying a long way away or your Futaba antennas are not installed correctly on the gimbal. I have been out to around 650 to 700 yards on film shoots with no control range issues. I do however loose telemetry back to my Futaba 18MZ at about 500 yards, but it is a much weaker signal and the system was never designed to cover that kind of range.

What you can try is to set up the failsafe in the transmitter so that in a signal loss situation the receiver channels will go into hold mode as opposed to a preset failsafe. You will still loose controllability of the gimbal, but at least it will hold it's current state until it reestablishes a link.

Can you post a picture of how you have your antennas installed on the gimbal?

Wayne Mann
    www.helicamhighdefmedia.com

3. Chris Bacik

Chris Bacik New Member

Thanks Wayne,

Our antenna's are setup well, we easily get 1000+ yards LOS. The issue is in real world film set scenarios, the pilot and camera operator rarely stand in the same place. This means the camera operators LOS may be obstructed occasionally by objects when the drone is only 300-400 yards away. These occasional less than one second signal dropout are enough to ruin the shot since the Movi springs back to center.

As I mentioned in my first post, I tried setting up the failsafe in the transmitter. Unfortunately this does not work. The Movi still understands that signal has been lost (via SBUS) and Freefly has it setup that the Movi goes to Majestic mode. (ie. I setup a failsafe on the mode channel to go to "locked" mode when signal is lost. The movi ignores this command which is a real piss off.)

4. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately Futaba transmitters do not put out anywhere near the power that DJI transmitters put out and because of this you can not let objects get between the transmitter and camera mount or Alta or you risk a loss of signal event. My camera operator is usually right beside me or within ten feet, usually. We either provide video village with their own downlink receiver or they can run a cable to one of our monitors. For the Director or DP we give them their own Small HD 702 Bright to view or they can use their monitor. The point is I rarely see a need for my camera operator to be much more than ten feet from me, especially if the Director or DP is standing there directing us.

Wayne Mann
    www.helicamhighdefmedia.com

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Chris:

If it's not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/
    Thanks
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

I will second this as a problem. We dont often have signal loss but regardless of how well antennae are placed etc it does happen occasionally. What is suggested here is such a simple and logical step it would be great to see it implemented asap.