/dist/images/branding/favicon

Features Movi users would love to see in future app updates

Discussion in 'Movi Beta App' started by Michel Ulmann, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Michel Ulmann

Michel Ulmann New Member

Let’s create a central thread to collect the feedback of active Movi users in this forum (I know there is an official feedback form, where I also submitted feature requests in the past, but it would be great to have a single place to get an overview of the different needs of actual users). Every user should create just ONE POST to this thread where he lists the features he would like to see added to the official Movi app categorised by his PERSONAL PRIORITY. Of course every user can edit his single post at any time to add, change or remove items as the development of the app continues, without creating a new post.

Priority 1 (Must Have)
    • Ability to switch between wide-angle and telephoto camera on the back of the iPhone (by adding a 1x / 2x button)
    • Ability to set shutter speed and ISO manually (like Freefly already did with white balance in the current beta)
    • Audio passthrough via Bluetooth for monitoring while shooting (like i.e. the Mavis camera app does)
    Priority 2 (Should Have)
    • Support for European frame rates: 25fps (50 and 100fps would also be nice to have but not a must)
    • Ability to change the gain of the audio input (i.e. a button to toggle between -10db, 0db, +10db, …)
    Priority 3 (Nice to Have)
    • Support for higher bitrates, but just to the extend where there really is a benefit in video quality
    • Object/face tracking
    I guess this would also help the Freefly team to define the priority of the mentioned features in their app development roadmap. I'm aware that Freefly will soon release the official API, but instead of using cluttered apps like Filmic Pro or Mavis with Movi support, I'd love to just use the official Movi app which focuses on the stuff that really matters for mobile filmmaking and packages it in an easy and fast way to use while filming.

2. Rob Hargreaves

Rob Hargreaves New Member

I agree with Michel!
    What would also be fantastic is the ability of this app to live stream to Youtube/Facebook AND record internally to the phone.
    The Live Air Solo or Live Pro apps are live stream apps that would be good to replicate.

3. Lou Ruiz

Lou Ruiz New Member

I would love to see a image de-squeeze feature for the upcoming Moment Anamorphic lens.

4. Nick Steele

Nick Steele New Member

I would like to see the ability to shoot a panoramic photo using the native iPhone app and a trigger press to start the pan and trigger to stop. That way I can stop panoramic short or keep it going to full extent.

5. George Beinhorn

George Beinhorn New Member

I would like to see orange or yellow text on black buttons. Please, no hipster shades that make buttons hard to read. (Just purchased +3.0 readers to make the Movi app easier to use.)

This is an update to my request above. YES! Please, please change the icons in the app - I'm referring to the thoroughly unreadable gray-on-black colors - to something that works better.

It's hard enough to see a phone screen in the field without having tiny icons with gray text on a black background. Really awful, and a questionable choice. So, please: biggest possible icons with yellow or orange text on a black background.

I bought +3.00 readers to be able to use the MCR, and still can't read those blasted icons. Example: Settings > Main Settings > Tuning. Can you read those grayed-out icons? Aha, I thought not. Yellow! BRIGHT orange! WHITE!

Refs.: Steve Krug, Roger Black, Edward Tufte, "Low-Contrast Text Is Not the Answer" (Nielsen Group), "How the Web Became Unreadable" (WIRED), et al.

p.p.s. Humorous arguments for high-contrast UI: https://contrastrebellion.com/.

- Cheers, gb

#5 George Beinhorn, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  6. George Beinhorn

George Beinhorn New Member

7. stephen hawkyns

stephen hawkyns New Member

this is a great idea!

Priority 1:
    - face or object tracking.
    - compatability with moment lenses (anamorphic please)

Priority 2:
    - camera switching
    - full manual control of shutter speed.

steve

Minho Song likes this.
  8. Patrick McGowan

Patrick McGowan New Member

Must be able to defeat the native OIS same as Filmic Pro.

9. Patrick McGowan

Patrick McGowan New Member

I don't know why Freefly did not simply integrate Filmic Pro instead of re-inventing the wheel and building their own app. Anytime hardware companies try to do software they suck at it. I am really disappointed with the app so far. We need FULL manual control over the camera. No excuses.

10. Nguyen Nguyen

Nguyen Nguyen New Member

Filmic Pro doesn't defeat OIS - it turns off electronic image stabilization. However, I agree - the app is extremely handicapping and the only reason I use it is I can't freeze/roll lock with the buttons in a different app.

11. Nguyen Nguyen

Nguyen Nguyen New Member

Must have:
    - Shutter speed and ISO control
    - Bitrate settings
    - Buttons should work like a D-pad and allow us to manually control tilt/positioning of the phone instead of having to reposition the phone manually or by using roll lock. If i need my gallery or to flip the camera, I can do so manually.
    - Double click bottom trigger should return Movi to level horizon position. (regardless of whether freeze or roll lock is selected)

Would be nice:
    - 1x/2x lens switch
    - Anamorphic desqueeze - since it's so integrated with moment lenses with the counterweight, etc., this should be a must have, honestly.

Priority 3:
    - Flat color setting. I know you can't get true log off the iPhone, but a flat color profile would be nice to have
    - Preset feature would be awesome as well

For shutter speed and ISO, double clicking the center button should allow users to adjust these, and single click to lock. There's not a single double click function that I've discovered on the Movi, and that would really open up the usability of the app.

Love the ergonomics of the actual movi (when my horizon's not off), but the app needs more focus on the fundamentals of filmmaking, and not just the flashy features.

Laura Conover likes this.
  12. Steve Torem

Steve Torem New Member

13. Laura Conover

Laura Conover New Member

While I've sent these suggestions to Freefly directly, here's a few ideas from an absolute newbie who is still learning the different modes:

* I'd like to see more user configuration control over the buttons on the Movi, especially the D-Pad. Beginners like me may find it easier to reposition the camera that way for certain modes that normally require the user to reposition by hand. (I personally don't want to accidentally fight against the Movi's motor.)

* I'd love to have a way to quickly open/reopen the Movi app if I've swapped to Filmic or the Camera from the Movi itself. This would be a lot more useful as a button than 'review last video shot'. It's just awkward interacting with the phone while it's in the Movi. Likewise, a fast swap to portrait mode would make this more user friendly for Instagram.

* Allow capture of still photography as well as video with a button press, to make swapping between one function and another easier. I like using the Movi to help stabilize my still photography, but swapping between apps on iPhone is cumbersome.

* Interactive balancing. I have yet to get the Movi to balance 100% correctly on all axises when the Moment lens is installed. In theory, Movi should be able to tell if it is leaned in an extreme direction when it is in a locked position. Having Movi evaluate and assist with getting the weights correct would likely extend the lifespan of the motor, and help make that set up faster for new people. This would also help with when lens swaps are desired quickly.

* Wifi streaming mode - allow streaming over wifi to a connected computer running something like Streamlabs or OBS. Likewise, streaming directly to a service such as Twitch, Mixer, or Facebook Live may be desirable for those who are out and about.

14. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

15. Rick Bronks

Rick Bronks Active Member

16. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

We are building out an app that does much more than just control the Movi. As we add features like advanced editing, video, and camera controls some of those features might be payed. The core Movi app will remain free for Movi Cinema Robot users and we are offering Movi Studio (our editing tool built into the Movi App) for free for Movi owners right now if you want to download the beta.

We envision a storytelling ecosystem in which Movi Cinema Robot is one component. The end goal will be a diverse hardware and software ecosystem that helps us create excellent films quickly!

17. Rick Bronks

Rick Bronks Active Member

Thanks for the clarification -but I do agree with the other posters about the app - why re-invent the wheel. There are at least 2 very very good apps out there for camera control - Mavis and FilMic. I would have thought it's best to use their API etc.

Although the Movi is aimed at mass market - realistically it's still a limited audience who will buy the MCR and within that audience the chances are the level of ability of production is greater within this community than probably on and Osmo mobile etc. I'd have thought getting a decent pro-level camera app is much easier to do this by piggybacking on top of the more solid, established code.

Another benefit of this is that people who use said apps would then be more inclined to buy the Movi hardware because they see the integration.

18. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

I think that this is exciting. I like the fact that Freefly is building from the ground up and is not constrained by decisions made by FilMIc, Mavis or any other developer. As it stands, I now use FilMic as little as possible because I much prefer Freefly's approach to interface design and I am increasingly skeptical of the legitimacy/utility of some of FilMic's more recent "features". I also don't like the linguistic game FilMic has been playing over the issue of optical stabilisation. Freefly's statements on optical stabilisation have been refreshing for their honesty.

If Freefly can build a better app than what is available now, integrated with its Cinema Robot, I also have no problem paying an additional amount for it.

I see the Cinema Robot and its app as a work in progress and I'm happy to be along for the ride. If I wanted a gimbal that would be replaced every 8 to 12 months with the "newest, greatest model", there was and is no shortage of options. I chose Freefly, and I'm happy that I did.

#18 Rorick Edge, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  19. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

I received the Moment Lenses and case the other day and played around with the counterweights and stuff on the Movi.

It works, but the whole rig is now heavier and unwieldy and I asked myself why I even bothered.

NICE TO HAVE:

I know the counterweight comes off with just 2 screws, but most of the time I would be running with the rig with no external lenses-- maybe 2 user tuning presets? So users doesn't have to retune after changing configuration?

I like the current D-pad layout but have no desire for the selfie mode. So maybe user selectable D-Pad Layouts? Or the ability to reassign that selfie button? (Maybe for 2 camera iPhones, have the ability to select regular and zoom with that button instead?)

I'm very happy with the one button lock exposure-focus feature... but I would also request to add white balance to lock at the same time as an option? I find the Auto Balance to be more accurate than cycling thru the temps.

#19 John Chu, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Tin Nguyen likes this.
  20. Nicolai Nishino-Ekeberg

NDI support directly from the app would be absolutly great and should be feasible since there already are a few apps out there with well functioning support for this.
    NDI is a free protocol for transfer of video over network (wired or wireless) that is supported by more and more hardware and software solutions. Panasonic, NewTek (who invented it) Adobe and many, many more. Worth checinkg out for sure!

https://www.newtek.com/ndi/