/dist/images/branding/favicon

Using Movi Cinema Robot Screenshots in Video

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Dan Clark, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Dan Clark

Dan Clark New Member

Hi. I have a new Cinema Robot. I ordered a Hoodie accessory to attach audio devices. The Hoodie instructions say that it a recorder or mic should be screwed directly to the Hoodie. Given the extreme difficulty of installing and removing the Hoodie, I decided to mount a cold shoe to the top of the Hoodie.

I'm making a quick video of my Hoodie solution to share on Vimeo. Since the Hoodie is already installed on my Movi (see below), I decided to add pics of the Movi without the Hoodie and of the Hoodie before installation. I took screenshots from Freefly web pages (pics below). So...

Do I need permission to use these screenshots? If so, how do I get that?

Regards,

Dan.
    DTC_2018_0825_5818.jpg
    MovieRobot.jpg
    MoviHandle.jpg
    MoviHoodie.jpg

2. Kevin P Riley

Kevin P Riley Active Member

The pics on their website are copyrighted material, so of course you need permission. Whether they care or not, particularly if it advertises the Movi in a good light...only one way to find out, ask. I’m sure there is a contact us page on their site.

BTW, pretty sure that is everyone’s solution to the hoodie, and is mentioned by Freefly themselves with suggestions on where to purchase the cold shoe.

3. Dan Clark

Dan Clark New Member

Kevin,

Thanks for the feedback. Your points are well-taken. My review/tutorial will not be limited by the marketing department’s wishes. My review/tutorial will NOT include screen shots. Readers will have to go to the Movi website. A link will be included.

To be clear, I like my Movi. And I understand that the Cinema Robot is brand new. Adding features take time. BUT, I’ve found several limitations that are blocking my video efforts. The lack of a cold shoe is one. The lack of a “follow mode” (whatever it will be called) is another. No integration with Filmic Pro is a third. Virtually no user documentation is a big one.

Regarding documentation,most Freefly tutorials are more marketing promo videos rather than tutorials. That irritates me no end. And that goes double for the software documentation - I can’t find any SOFTWARE documentation. A software tutorial should be something like, “This button does <stuff>. When you click it, you’ll see this <pop up window>. It’s used for <purpose>. Etc, etc...” They should NOT include excessive, pretty video and loud, upbeat audio. (Note that the Hoodie installation video is one of the rare tutorial exceptions - it’s pretty decent.)

Like other users, the Hoodie is problematic for me. It was so difficult to install that I had to use a screwdriver to wedge the plastic band around its mounting clip. The promo videos show a mic screwed directly on the hoodie. Given the difficulty of removing the Hoodie, that means that means your audio accessories are pretty much permanently mounted. NOT even remotely reasonable!

After searching this morning, I could not find any instructions from Freefly about mounting a cold shoe on the Hoodie. Unfortunately, my tutorial video will be relatively poor quality because I can’t show the actual installation process because of the risk of damaging the Hoodie while deinstalling the Hoodie.

Another thing that bugs me about the Hoodie is the promo pic (apparently) showing a Rode Video Mic Pro mounted on the Hoodie and attached to an iPhone lightning connector. That is NOT workable IMO. When I tried that, the two adapters got in the way of the gimbal. The only option for me is my Zoom H1n recorder. Given that quality audio is critical to a good video, a permanently mounted mic with adapters should not be shown in a promo pic. In my opinion, of course.

Regards,

Dan.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I can't speak for FF, but I rather doubt there would be any objections, but, just to be safe, open up a ticket by sending an email to Freefly Support (support@freeflysystems.com) and ask -- include a link to this thread so they can see how you are using the images.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Dan Clark

Dan Clark New Member

Andy,

Thanks for the feedback. To limit hassle, I decided to use my images only.

My video is now on youtube (see below). Please let me know if you see any factual errors. If you know of any better solutions, or parts and materials, please add that to the comments.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. My apologies for the audio. it was a tough day and I'm beat. So I put this together quickly.

6. Edrolfo Leones

Edrolfo Leones New Member

Nice video... Glad I purchased the hood accessory, although I wasn't too sure if it would be a good $30 investment at the time.

FYI -- I linked out directly to YouTube, as your embedded clip below might need you to adjust permission settings in your YouTube account.

EL1

7. Dan Clark

Dan Clark New Member

Endrolfo,

Hi. Thanks for your comments. However, I don't understand "...as your embedded clip below might need you to adjust permission settings in your YouTube account." I noticed that the YouTube "Allow embedding" checkbox was unchecked. I checked it. Is that what you're referring to?

Regards,

Dan.

8. Edrolfo Leones

Edrolfo Leones New Member

Allow embedding should be checked, but here's what we see:

SafariScreenSnapz102.jpg

9. Kevin P Riley

Kevin P Riley Active Member

I’m not sure why you compare the smooth 4, as your video seemed to be about the movi’s lack of a native mount for a recording device, does the smooth 4 have a native mount for a recording device or mic?

How is the lack of flexible connectors to your iPhone freefly’s fault?

I have a hoodie and it is difficult to put on and off, but I do not need a screwdriver to remove it, your video wohld have benefited from a demonstration of installing and removing the hoodie and the cold shoe accessories.

I could not view the video embedded, I had to go to YouTube.

I would like to point out my criticism is meant to be constructive in nature, and all points are minor. My overall opinion is that it is a good video.

#9 Kevin P Riley, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  10. Dan Clark

Dan Clark New Member

Kevin,

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll check the settings in YouTube again.

Regarding the Zhiyun, I was going to add some comparison comments, but ran out of time and energy. Sorry for the confusion. I’ll post a comparison of the two gimbals sometime in the future.

The connectors are not Freefly’a fault. That said, a large part of the market is users with late model iPhones. And they have Lightning connectors. And that requires a jury rig solution (IMO) to allow external external mics. And that solution prevents the Movi from working properly.

The issue here is that Freefly’s website promotes using an external mic in a configuration that will not work. And that IS Freefly’s fault. I.e. it’s the marketing.

I agree about not including a process demonstration - it should have been included. But as I said, the installation was so difficult that I was afraid to remove it.

I’ll check out YouTube issue.

Regards,

Dan

11. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Hi Dan,

Freefly has made a series of six videos, several hours long in total and including answers to questions from viewers, that deal in depth with the operation of the Movi Cinema Robot and the roadmap for the app. They are far more detailed than what is available for any other smartphone gimbal on the market. You have clearly not watched them. You may find it useful to do so.

You are right that the Hoodie O-ring takes effort to disengage. Freefly, in one of the videos that you haven't watched, says that it is working on a redesign to address that issue. Personally, I have not found it anywhere near as big a problem as you do. I use whatever is at hand that will help disengage the O-ring and won't damage the Movi cosmetically, such as a knitting needle or fine needle nose pliers (I don't think your use of a screwdriver is the best idea). Not exactly onerous. That said, some people have indeed added a cold shoe mount, an idea that has been discussed here and that is neither original nor complicated.

There is no such thing as a cable from a microphone to the phone that will not have some impact on the phone's balance. The question is whether the cable interferes with the operation of the gimbal. In part, that can depend on what you want the gimbal to do and how fussy you are. There are Movi owners who have an issue with this, particularly because available Lightning adapters are not exactly thin and light, and others who don't. If you do a search, you will find an entire thread on this issue in relation to Lightning adapters and a number of other threads where the issue is discussed. As the owner of a DPA d:vice, which has a custom Lightning cable, one that is quite a bit more malleable than using an adapter, I can tell you that there is no escaping the issue if your connection is wired, regardless of what gimbal one is using.

The uses of the Hoodie are broader than you apparently realise. For example, it can be used to mount a microphone cabled to an external recorder or to an iPhone or iPod in a pocket that is being used as a recorder, it can be used to mount a light, and it can be used to mount an iPhone. I have done the latter while using the Movi as a gimbal, not for a phone, but for a Sony RX0 camera. One participant in this forum has developed a mount for a GoPro. He has also talked about mounting a phone to the Hoodie.

#11 Rorick Edge, Aug 29, 2018
  12. Dan Clark

Dan Clark New Member

Rorick,

It seems that we have some disconnects...
    Clearly I haven't watched them because I can't find them! The fifteen tutorials on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/user/FreeFlySystems) from FreeFly are about one minute long - a total of about 15 minutes. Where are these in-depth FreeFly videos?
    Like you, I used whatever was on hand - a small screwdriver.
    I agree about the balance. And that a wire running from a mic to an iPhone on a gimbal (any gimbal) would interfere with the operation. But that sort of begs the question: If adding all sorts of audio workarounds to make an iphone/gimbal combo work with a wired mic and that interferes with the gimbal, then why use a gimbal?
    My understanding of some of the options for the hoodie is broader than YOU realize. For example, below is a pic of three of the accessories that I bought to try out (but did not include in the video). The first two are obvious. The third is a little wireless transmitter/receiver that could be used for multiple purposes. I have a wired lav mic and a wired hand-held mic which could be used with my Zoom h1N shown in my video. And of course, I could get a variety of other wireless accessories. These could be used in various combos with the hoodie. Or not.

My needs and goals (which seem to have been lost in this thread) are straight-forward - keep it simple and light. I do NOT need or want expensive, complex, and heavy audio/video tools. If I wanted to do that, I'd upgrade my Panasonic GH3 (with seven lenses) to a GH5s and maybe a Sound Devices Mix Pre 6M. Or maybe get a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. That would leverage my M4/3 lenses nicely.

As for researching the MOVI and it's accessories, I have spent many man-hours in that. I'm happy that you've found resources that fit your needs. I have not found some of them. That said...

After 60+ years shooting photos and 20+ years shooting video, I've learned that there is no perfect solution. At some point, the best alternative is to just dive in and learn. Take your lumps. Find out what works and what does not.

That's what I'm doing. And I find something interesting, I like to share what I know, especially if I can't find evidence that someone else has done it. If that helps someone else, that's great. If not... It's my time, effort, and money to spend as I see fit.

Thanks for feedback.

Regards,

Dan.

Accessories.jpg

#12 Dan Clark, Aug 29, 2018
  13. Dan Clark

Dan Clark New Member

Edrolfo,

Hi. Can you see the YouTube clip now? Please let me know.

Regards,

Dan.

14. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

YouTube channels put their videos under the heading Videos. Go to Freefly's YouTube page, under the heading Videos, and you will find this: https://www.youtube.com/user/FreeFlySystems/videos

Six of Freefly's most recent 13 videos are entitled "Movi - Six Week Live Series". The series consists of over four hours of detailed Movi instruction as well as answers to a lot of questions. Note that the audio quality improved over time as they got better at live streaming.

Now that you know where the videos are, you might find it useful to watch them.

#14 Rorick Edge, Aug 29, 2018
  15. Dan Clark

Dan Clark New Member

Rorick,

First, thanks for the link.

I understand YouTube channels. I’m subscribed to videos in over 50 channels, including including three in “Freefly Systems”. Two of those three are “Six Week...” videos:

and
    While interesting, I can’t find anything about the Hoodie in those videos.

In addition, when I Googled “Freefly” plus “hoodie”, the only Six Week video in the first 25 videos was the Q&A video (see below). No Hoodie info in that video that I could find.

There were other videos in the channel, including several instances of the Hoodie tutorial and marketing videos, and some user stories. And some videos that had nothing to do with a Hoodie. When you have limited time and need detailed info, you don’t have time to wade through long videos in hope of finding a tidbit of information.

Freefly would do well to edit their videos into sections with links to specific sections in the YouTube description. Besides improving SEO, it would help users to find specific information that targets their needs.

Regards,

Dan.

P.s. Some of the best examples of tutorial videos are related to the Resolve Video Editing software (my editor). Resolve used to be primarily a color grading tool. With recent versions, especially V15.0, it is now a very good, end-to-end editor.