/dist/images/branding/favicon

Dual Operator Control ROLL please

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Tom Fan, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Tom Fan

Tom Fan New Member

Can we have roll control like Pan , tilt which can work via joystick and have rate adjustment, not only roll trim?

Mar van de Sande likes this.
  2. Tom,

If you are using the MoVI Controller in tandem with the MoVI Pro, you can map the roll axis to any open/available knob, via the menu. i.e. Iris, focus knobs.'User' knob.

TX CONFIG>>> Map Roll Input>>> then choose the specific knob.

3. Tom Fan

Tom Fan New Member

Thanks for your reply,
    But I don`t have MoVI Controller, and just want to use futaba joystick to control roll.
    I think it is just a simple function that most of brushless gimbal can do it.

4. If you set the Futaba mapping correctly, away from the standard defaults settings, and you have a compatible Futaba controller, then yes.

5. Tom Fan

Tom Fan New Member

Can I use left joystick to control roll? And where is the adjustment on smoothing/ window for roll joystick? Thank you.

6. Tom Fan

Tom Fan New Member

Can I use left joystick to control roll? And where is the adjustment on smoothing/ window for roll joystick? Thank you.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Tom: Good question....let me ask someone at FF.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

8. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

I can help with this. I am posting photos of the first three function pages in my Futaba 14SG radio. The function page is where you assign what control on the radio, whether it be a stick, switch, slider or knob controls a particular channel. The mapping in the Movi Pro APP goes like this, at least for my Movi Pro and Futaba 14SG:

Mode 5
    Pan 4
    Pan Rate -7
    Roll Trim 9
    Tilt 2
    Tilt Rate 8
    Shutter 0

These settings will give you roll control on the left stick and roll trim on the trim tab just below the left stick.

I hope this help

Wayne Mann
    www.helicamhighdefmedia.com

Attached Files:

#8 Wayne Mann, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Rolands Zelders likes this.
  9. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

The only "Smoothing" option I find in the APP is in Majestic settings. I do not know off the top of my head if they effect dual operator mode. My settings are:

Smoothing 40
    Window 19
    Mode Level The other option is Majestic Angle

For rate adjustment you will have to use the ATV or end point adjustments in the Futaba radio.

Wayne Mann

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Tom: It looks like the answer is, no....you cannot use any stick/control for roll, just roll trim, as Wayne confirmed, Channel 9.

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

11. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

Hi Andy,

Actually that is not what I was saying. With Channel 9 mapped for roll trim and the radio function setup that I provided I have roll control on the left stick, which is usually rudder and the trim is also active, so you have both. In the function page in the radio I can assign any stick to roll control and any trim tab on the radio to roll trim.

Wayne Mann

12. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

I see how it is confusing. In the APP it only gives you "Roll Trim", but if you assign a main control stick to channel 9 in the radio you have roll control. Channel 9 in the APP is just a channel. In the radio you can assign what you want to control that channel. I can choose to just have roll trim or I can choose to just have roll control via one of the main sticks, sliders, knobs or whatever and I can, as I have, choose to have both. It is a little confusing until you figure it out. It would be nice to be able to have a rate knob for the total roll angle, but I have not got that working yet. It is possible through program mixers, but since I only use roll control very seldom it hasn't been priority to figure it out.

Wayne Mann

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmmm. I sit corrected, gentlemen. I had contact with FF and they said no, but evidently you have found yes! Way to go!
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

14. Tom Fan

Tom Fan New Member

Thanks for your reply,
    I know it can set a channel for roll trim, but what I want is push the joystick to roll, and stop when the joystick go back to center, like Pan and tilt.
    In roll trim, roll angle is depand on the position of the joystick, and no smoothing/ window option.

It is just a simple function that we can use FF product more happy, but it is still unavailable after many years

15. Tom Fan

Tom Fan New Member

Unfortunately, what he said is still on “roll trim”
    It is very hard to smooth when I do roll very very slow...

16. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

Hi Tom,

You are correct in that you can not get the Movi to operate on roll axis like it will on pan and tilt. But, you can determine the speed that the roll axis moves. Here is an example. If I am doing a dolly in shot of a downtown skyline and I want to start with the camera roll axis tilted 45 degrees to the left and finish with the roll axis 45 degrees to the right I simply hold the roll axis control stick all the way to the left, start the drone moving in towards the subject and then move the control stick all the way to the right and hold it there until it stops moving which will be when the roll axis is 45 degrees to the right. If you go into the servo speed page in the Futaba 14SG and go to channel 9 you can adjust how fast or slow the roll axis will travel when a stick command is given. My channel 9 speed is set to 25%. Also you can vary the amount of roll axis angle you have at both the start and finish of the move by adjusting the ATV or endpoint adjustments on channel 9. Once set up it makes the move very easy and repeatable.

Wayne Mann

17. Tom Fan

Tom Fan New Member

Thanks Wayne, this is a way but not a good way....
    I have used DJI ronin, Gremsy H16 and Alexmos style gimbals, roll control is a "basic" function, only FF doesn't provide....
    I don`t know why FF always ignore roll, even majestic roll was available in last year finally:
    https://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/majestic-angle-of-roll.9181/#post-77405

#17 Tom Fan, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  18. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

Hi Tom,

I think that if you try it and get the "servo speed" setting in the radio set to the speed you want, you will find that it moves extremely smooth and is very controllable. To do the types of roll axis maneuvers that I normally do this system works perfectly, but I am sure that there are other types of roll axis maneuvers that would benefit from having it act like it does on pan and tilt.

Wayne Mann

19. Tom Fan

Tom Fan New Member

Lower servo speed can let the gimbal rolling slower, but that is hard to change the speed and the joystick have to hold by finger or it will go back to center.... I need regular joystick control like Pan/ Tilt pleaaaaaase~~~~~

20. Rolf Ableiter

Rolf Ableiter Active Member

yes - that's what i need too and i think many MoVI users will love it, when it is implemented.
    majestic roll is fine but if you want to control the MoVI on a tripod, crane, slider, car, drone whatever you don't have a smooth way to control the Roll.
    just give us the ability to switch the roll to "rate" like one can do with Tilt.

Gerfried Guggi likes this.