/dist/images/branding/favicon

Boating with the Movi

Discussion in 'Movi Showcase' started by Steve Huether, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Shot this while out testing a rebuilt motor for the boat with my son last night. Edited it together in about 40 mins tonight.
    Shot on iPhone X and Movi CR.
    Movi-Lapse, Time-lapse, and Majestic modes used.
    Edited in iMovie on iPhone X.

I think what impressed me the most is the power of such a lightweight and simple system. Two devices and I was able to do what I set out to do very easily. Sure I could have used a better mic(I have a Rode VideoMirco with deadcat but didn't hassle with setting it up), or a better lens(also have the Moment Wide but again, didn't hassle with setting it up and balancing). The sound would have been more usable with the mic for sure but I was wanting to focus more on video and one handed use with this. The Moment Wide would have been nice, I prefer the wide angle but it would have been more hassle to get going. It was nice to not have everyone else waiting while I setup gear. Just grab it and go have fun and shoot along the way.

Thoughts? I'd love some criticism to help me get better.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  2. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

Looks good. I like the shot at 0:12. I'd focus a little more on the story as well. Shots like getting to location, getting the boat on the water, getting on the boat, closeup of hand touching water, some conversation, sunset, etc

Steve Huether likes this.
  3. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Thanks!! I've been thinking along those lines lately, coming up with more story for each adventure and shooting some of all parts. A little pre planning can make a huge difference in overall quality.

4. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Awesome Steve - agree on loving the low impact film making that Movi makes possible.

On your piece I think its great, just keep making films and you will get better. My tip is to be ruthless in the edit, if you don't love a shot, kill it. You can imagine that if you don't love it, the world definitely wont since they care about the people / locations less than you do!

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

There's a strong argument, advanced by William Faulkner, albeit for his writings, that even some of your favorite shots should be cut too. He used the phrase "kill your darlings."

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Thanks Tabb! I'm always looking to improve so the tips are much appreciated.