/dist/images/branding/favicon

SERIOUS ISSUES on my Movi Pro

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Joel Chan Po Yun, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Joel Chan Po Yun

Joel Chan Po Yun New Member

My MōVI Pro has some critical problems. It keeps on turning off automatically without any warnings. Aside from that, the motor dies off even the power it’s still on (shown in attached video). Sometimes the monitor will show my battery is critically low from time to time even though the indicator on my battery shows 3 bars, I had to remove the battery and plug it in again to solve this problem. And when this happened to both the batteries, it shows critical battery. Sometimes the balance will run off after the motor dies or the whole thing shut down, even I checked and rechecked the balance before.

*I set up an alexa mini with a Cooke mini S4/i lens, I thought maybe it might be applying too much pressure on the motors and I switched it to zeiss super speed but same thing happened.

Attached Files:

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Joel: It sounds like you should open up a ticket by sending an email to Freefly Support (support@freeflysystems.com) if you have not already done so. I suspect there is an issue that only they can deal with.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Is this a new problem, or has it always been this way with your Movi? What Firmware are you running? How old are your Movi and your batteries?

It *sounds* like you have a battery problem. I didn't see a video file attached, just stills, but I don't have fast internet access right now. How many batteries do you have? Can you track your batteries and see if they're all doing this, or just certain ones?

Often, the battery cells need to be balanced at the end of a charging cycle. If you charge your batteries and see the light turn green, but then occasionally flash red then back to green, it's balancing the cells inside your battery. Removing the battery too soon can cause damage to the cells and problems.

4. Graham Futerfas

A few other thoughts: How are you powering that Bartech follow focus? Is it able to get enough power out of the accessory DTap on the bottom of the Movi? Personally, my Bartech doesn't get enough power through that 2 Amp D-Tap.

5. Joel Chan Po Yun

This are new issues that pop out, the firmware is 1.4 and my MōVI Pro is about 3 years old. I’ve 6 batteries and all of them turned off quite easily. By the way thanks for the last tip regarding the charging process Graham.

Oh, the bartech I powered through a v mount battery which I mount it on the MōVI ring. In fact I powered the camera and teradek all with the v mount cause I don’t want to apply too much burden on the MōVI Pro batteries.

6. Joel Chan Po Yun

Andy,

I’ve just emailed.

7. Graham Futerfas

It's most likely your batteries -- they don't have great life spans, but you can extend them if you'll let them charge overnight, and discharge them to 50% when you're not going to use them for more than a week. This is the down side to LiPo batteries, unfortunately.

In my case, I now have 16 batteries -- and have bought 6 of them in the last 4 months. Most of my batteries are OK, but definitely aging.

I have thought of buying the Ignite Digi battery adapter that allows you to use DJI Inspire 2\Ronin 2 batteries, which have more capacity and some internal electronics. They make a version with a Lemo plug, and that would enable you to power your Bartech directly off the battery instead of through the Movi. To buy in, it would cost me about $2000 for the adapters and the batteries and chargers, so I've been hesitant, but that may be the road I go down eventually. Also, it will increase the weight a bit.

https://store.ignitedigi.com.au/collections/camera-movi-plates/products/tb50-battery-to-movi-pro

8. Ryan Forte

Ryan Forte Member

I'm in the same boat with Battery Issues. This month I switched over to the Ignite Digi Battery Adapters with Lemo output and will never turn back.

I powered Teradek 2000, Red Weapon and Chrosziel FIZ 2 Motors via 2pin lemo coming out the roll cage and I got 40min of use and batteries still had over 50% on each in my tests.

I've never had critical battery issues when not powering the camera and accecories, but over a year my batteries have become unusable for cinema builds. Corporate A7S stuff I haven't had a problem powering just follow focus through cam Dtap, but thats it.

If you want to stick to Movi Battereis you should replace them every 6 months or so for high power draw. As Graham Mentioned he is seeing performance loss after 4 months.

9. Graham Futerfas

OK, I finally broke down and bought the Ignite battery adapter and 8 DJI batteries with two chargers. I also requested a custom cable for the Lemo port from Ignite that could power my Follow Focus MDR's, and those guys are amazing because they had it all shipped within hours. It's as if Tom had nothing better to do than solder a cable for me the second I emailed him.

That said, I should clarify that I'm not seeing a loss of performance after only 4 months on my Movi Pro batteries, but rather after 18 months. The newer Movi Pro batteries are just fine at the moment, and stronger than my original ones that I bought the day Freefly announced the Movi Pro in November of 2016. I have made an effort to care for my batteries, and have made sure they get the chance to balance charge and not stay full for weeks on end.

The Ignite system won't be cheap -- I spent about $2700 all in. But if you're buying a new Movi Pro or considering what to do with a batch of bad batteries, this is probably a great alternative... until Freefly re-designs their gimbal and battery system and I have to buy everything all over again.

Chris Fox and Tom Waugh like this.