/dist/images/branding/favicon

Can the MoVI Pro power all of this?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by anthonysneed, May 16, 2018.

1. anthonysneed

anthonysneed Member

I’m trying to figure out if the batteries on the MoVI Pro are enough to power a:

SMALL HD 703 Ultra Bright
    Teradek 500 Transmitter
    2 Redrock SLS motors

I was having power issues with my MoVI so I had to send it in, but should I worrry about this?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

The D-taps are kind of limited in terms of power draw. I can usually power a Movi with an Arri Mini on the 6amp dtap and a Tomahawk on the 2amp dtap. If I'm not using a WCU4 for follow focus, I carry LiPo's from the Movi M15 that have DTap adapters and tie them on for the follow focus MDR.

I always power my monitor separately for a couple of reasons: If I want to move it around from top of the ring to the bottom, or go from handheld to mounted, or need to flip the Movi upside down, the monitor power cable will get caught up and in the way. Best to provide separate battery power. I have a Small HD 503 and use V-mount batteries on it... it's kind of big, but the Sony L Battery plate would also be bulky, I think.

3. anthonysneed

anthonysneed Member

Thank you for this. It’s very helpful for me to hear this.

I’ve seen a few different setups, each completely different but what you said about the monitor was part of the reason why I posted this.

4. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

If I mount an external monitor to the ring I use external batteries to keep the cabling simple.

If I'm doing dual op and using a lightweight camera like my Sony A7SII I mount an Atomos Shogun Inferno behind the camera. It gives the MoVI operator plenty of information, allows me to record 4K RAW ProRez from a DSLR and gives a little more weight and allows better balance and tuning for the MoVI.

If I have mounted a camera that will record some kind of lossless format I usually just mount an external monitor to the ring.

5. Deniz Ertan

Deniz Ertan New Member

Hi Anthonysneed.

I use mövi pro’s d-taps socets to power alexa mini with 2 c-force motors, teradek (or other brand transmitters) and a monitör ( sometimes smallhd sometimes tvlogic) with no problem (mostly).

Some rental alexa cameras can draw higher current (i dont know why) then that happened the camera doesnt boot (not enough power ) (i always keep sideplate and slim v-mount battery with me. when it happens i use sideplate to power camera)

Sometimes when i try to calibrate focus and iris motor in the same time camera power cuts off and camera reboot (not enough power) when that happened i calibrate motors one by one.

in general it works fine but it can cause problems with rented equipment. (no logic)

6. Gerfried Guggi

Gerfried Guggi New Member

I'm flying Red Dragon, Paralinx Ace video transmitter, Nucleus M (focus, zoom) tomorrow on a car rig (all powered by MoVI), no power issues so far. Be sure to change batteries early (around 20%).

7. Benjamin Granet

The Ignite Digi Ronin 2 battery plate with the Lemo 2 pin are a miracle. I don't understand why Freefly haven't released a set of larger battery.

Using 2 Ronin 2 battery, I have over 2 hours of power for an alexa mini, 2 Cforce motors, a cinetape, a teradek and my monitor. And as I am using a quad charger, battery charging is a breath.

Basically, a Movi Pro kit from Ignite brings your entire Movi Pro to another level. Everything feels more simple. All I want know is a fake R2 battery to have permanent power when I'm on a fixed mount.

Gerfried Guggi likes this.
  8. anthonysneed

anthonysneed Member

Yeah I just bought the ignite battery plates. These movi batteries are KILLING ME.

I didn’t get the Lemo option do you think it’s necessary?

9. Benjamin Granet

it's not necessary, but I find it practical when you want to power your monitor or other accessories on the rig on handle bar. The lemo are just there so you don't have to run long cable.
    ''The Lemo version allows you to get battery voltage (21-25.5V) to power Preston MDRs, rain spinners or other high draw accessories you may be having issues with on the MōVI Pro D-taps.''
    They kinda solve the issue that some people have with the amperage and voltage from the Ptap on the Movi.

Just be careful to not fry something that can't take the voltage.

10. Steven Deneault

Steven Deneault New Member

Hey Benjamin, when you say "careful to not fry something that can't take the voltage" are you referring to when you use the LEMO battery version? Or are you referring to overall voltage for all you're accessories without the LEMO version?

That make sense?

11. Nevo

Nevo New Member

Freefly recommended me to ask this forum because they don’t have a good answer.
    if a Movi pro will hold and stabilis
    1)sony alpha 7r 3 camera with 600mm nikon lens
    2) me20f-sh canon with 600mm nikon lens
    and if so
    What is the best setup for those cameras?
    (cables ,battery ,mounts an extra....)

12. Graham Futerfas

Well, it's going to be a challenge. You're going to need to add counterweight -- that's a lot of lens.

I saw two versions on B&H of the Nikon 600mm. One is under 9lbs and the other is under 11lbs. Both are pretty long at 17" for just the lens. Which version are you planning to use? The lighter one sounds a bit easier.

Why put a lens that long on a gimbal? You're going to have a couple of issues with that, and will really notice some issues with rocking and vibration that you don't see on wider lenses. Are you going handheld, aerial, or using it as a remote head? Stills or Video? I'm not sure you're going to get the results you want, especially without some fine-tuning of the Movi's settings.

How do you plan to pull focus with it?

I would suggest you organize a test to see if it can be done. Have a counterweight system on hand, like Freefly's Junk in the Trunk, or the Cinemilled Pro Dovetail system, and I also keep some counterweights from the hardware store in my kit. Ignite Digi's Tilt Offsets would also be recommended in a situation like this.

Good luck! And let us know how it goes. If you're near Los Angeles, I could try to help you with a test.

13. Nevo

Nevo New Member

Thanks for your replay I have a 9lbs i'm trying a handheld video or stills and try to make a night shoot
    I will try to take a photo of a Mediterranean Monk Seal from a boat so its going to be a very interesting pictur

14. Graham Futerfas

Interesting project.

I think you're going to struggle with getting it balanced in there, mainly because of the length of the lens. You can only slide back the camera so much before the camera hits the roll beam when you tilt up and down. Counterweights at the back can help with the clearance by letting you slide the camera package forward, but they add to your overall weight and decrease performance. Having a longer baseplate like the Cinemilled Pro Dovetail might be helpful.

You might want to look into mounting the gimbal on the boat with an isolator arm like the Black Arm from Flowcine (there are other, similar arms out there), and using a remote controller to pan and tilt. Handheld may be very unwieldy and hard to control with that long of a lens.

If you decide to be brave and go Handheld, there are some settings in the app that will become helpful for you to adjust. Increase your Windows for Pan and Tilt, and decrease Max Control Rate.

How will you be controlling Focus? With a focus motor\teeth gear on the lens? I assume autofocus is terrible at night, and if you're manually focusing, it takes away the stability of the gimbal.

Good luck!

15. Nevo

Nevo New Member

I will need all the luck there is
    don't have a good solution for the focus probably motor
    another way is to use the movi XL but also there i will have lots problems...