/dist/images/branding/favicon

Improvements to File Names?

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Russell Carpenter, May 28, 2018.

1. Russell Carpenter

Russell Carpenter New Member

This is a modest suggestion for an improvement for the MOVI software. My files get names like this: "temporaryVideoFile (1).mov". It might be better to name the files with an abbreviation that indicates the source, as well as the sequential file number.

I'll mention again another opportunity for improvement. The two lens configuration is fundamental part of modern iPhones, and I hope that MOVI will have access to both lenses soon.

Otherwise, I'm really pleased with everything about MOVI. What a splendid piece of equipment!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Russell:
    My Movi CR is packed for a road trip so I can't test this, but where are you seeing the "temporaryVideoFile(1).mov" file name -- on your iPhone, or on a Mac/PC -- and if so, how are you moving the files from the iPhone, please?

Thanks
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Russell Carpenter

Hi Andy,

I just ran a test, by capturing a single video file on my iPhone X, using the MOVI beta software.

I don't know how to extract the file name in the Photos app on my iPhone. However, I'm able to extract that data using an app called "Exif Viewer." According to that app, the file name is "temporaryVideoFile.mov"

I then transferred that file to my iMac, using two methods: Airdrop and iTunes. The file name for the file transferred by Airdrop is 'temporaryVideoFile.MOV" The file name for the file transferred by iTunes is "temporaryVideoFile.mov"

I hope this is helpful.

Russ

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Russell...I use Dropbox on the iPhone to sync images and movies to my Mac. The files I get on the Mac are date/time stamps like:
    2018-04-08 15.53.22.mov -- so I think it might be the way that they're being transferred that's assigning names to the .mov files. Just guessing, though.

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

John Chu likes this.
  5. Russell Carpenter

Ah, but the puzzle is that the files that are originally transferred out of the MOVI app into Photos are being assigned those funky names. Those names then just get carried forward as the files are transferred over to my iMac.

Certainly not the end of the world, but a little strange.

Maybe you could check the names of the files in your own Photos app. According to my research (and personal experience), you can't extract files names directly from Photos in an iOS device. You have to use a third party app, like "Exif Viewer."

Russ

6. Alessandro Garabaghi

my files do not say temporary. they look like Andys. But this is from the Mavis App and Filmic App.

The files on the iphone are just random numbers and letters.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I've been in contact with FF (bear in mind I'm a volunteer not an FF employee) and, while I cannot (and do not) speak for FF, I think the file names are likely to be changed in some future release.

Cheers
    Andy

8. Jim Hulme

Jim Hulme New Member

Ever since I have got hold of my Movi CR the video files have been called "temporaryVideoFile.mov" (with incremental numbering) and I am assuming that the app creates the file name while it is active, and then supposedly when the video is stopped, the temporary name is given the exclusive name using the date and time etc as it is saved to storage. It is likely that this saving process is flawed either within the app itself of the interaction between the app and IOS for storage.
    So it is puzzling where Andy says it works for him saving to Dropbox. I have tried this and the temporary file name is still evident in Dropbox. This leads me to think that there may be a software version issue with either the app or IOS or both OR there may be something in the app configuration or IOS Setup resulting in the correct file naming syntax.
    FYI - I have used an app called Filebrowser for years and it is quite good for manipulating IOS files within the iPhone and between iPhone and Mac devices. It includes file names and images pixel sizes but unfortunately not actual file size.

I hope to see some resolution of the file naming problem soon.

9. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the Movi app? What happens if you use the IMAGE CAPTURE app on the Mac to access the video clips from the camera roll on the iPhone?

10. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Just noticing this as well. Would be nice to have an incremental file naming system like most cameras though not a huge deal. I use iCloud Photo Library so it really doesn't cause me any problems because its rare I actually care what the files are named anyway. I do see its using HEVC for 4K60 files on the iPhone X which is nice. It would be nice if it added video orientation to the files though, upside down or vertical videos require manual manipulation as a result.

11. Jim Hulme

Jim Hulme New Member

John
    The problem is not with my Mac. And I have just this week installed the Movi Beta app and it does the same thing.

12. Rick Bronks

Rick Bronks Active Member

I am having the same issue.. can't figure it out.

13. Dave Johns

Dave Johns New Member

I have noticed this naming as well. I did two updates within the last week; Movi and Mac OS to Mojave. I don't recall that naming before and went back to when I first got the Movi. Clips that I had from June also say temporaryVideoFile.mov, but I don't recall that before.