/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi cinema robot

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Troy Lockwood, May 23, 2018.

1. Troy Lockwood

Troy Lockwood New Member

hello new to this whole thing including filming, just purchased the freefly movi with counter weights etc... I’m pretty sure I balanced it correct but not 100% sure. Problem I’m having is that it vibrates and makes a crazy noise when I tilt it forward or try to barrell roll it? Any help or info would be awesome thanks Troy...

2. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Hi Troy. I believe that would be to do with the power setting of the motors. I've watched so many videos on it lately that I can't remember which discussed it but it was one of these on balancing and tuning the Movi.

or

3. Lou Ruiz

Lou Ruiz New Member

Mine did this too at first.

Check to see if the the MOVI is balanced holding it both vertically and horizontally. Then do the auto tune. I had to use all the counterweights to balance out the large moment lens, moment case and iPhone 7+

I will also need to figure out how to add a ND filter and adapter at some point.

4. Troy Lockwood

Troy Lockwood New Member

I tried , thought I balanced it good enough ,did the configuration , but it still vibrates, I’ll try again this eve, pretty frustrating lol...

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Troy: The first step is balancing and it sounds like you have done that. The second step is tuning the gimbal to the specific "mass in motion" of the gimbal plus camera + lens + counterweights.

The vibration indicates that the gimbal tuning is too "high" for the particular mass.

Please see FAQ #22 here.

Can you give more details of how you have tuned the Movi CR, please?

Thanks
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. Richard Bowie

Richard Bowie New Member

I have had the same issue. We cannot assume that balancing and motor issues are from lenses or cases. I don’t use lenses because I am still waiting to get counter weights. I have had the Movi have vibrations from tilts and when on table. I am now struggling to get a tilt balance no matter what I do. I was able to get it within 15 seconds because I knew where to line it up but now it keeps falling backwards.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Richard: You're quite correct -- we cannot assume that the "mass in motion" will always include cases and lens, but there will always be a mass in motion of the gimbal itself and the phone -- so from the point of view of the Movi, there is always the issue of balancing that as best as you can. The Movi will work if the mass in motion is somewhat out of balance -- but it works much better if the mass is balanced.

I'm puzzled by your comment that you used to be able to balance the gimbal in 15 seconds or less but now you cannot. Any idea what might have changed?

When I tried with an iPhone X (which was in an Otterbox case), the front of the iPhone (with the touch screen on it), would tilt down (the lens facing away from me therefore tilting up). Is that what you're seeing? Sorry to be pedantic, but with the front of the iPhone facing towards the operator, the lens is technically on the back of the phone even thought it's facing to the front -- so I'm just asking for clarification of "keeps falling backwards." :)

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

8. Troy Lockwood

Troy Lockwood New Member

Hello Andy-
    It seems that I got it to not vibrate anymore (which is good thing) but now when just filming footage the gimbal moves to freely basically turning on me maybe I need to walk slowly or should it stay pretty straight? Sorry for the questions but like I said I’m so new to this, thanks Troy...

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Can you confirm that you have the Movi in Majestic Mode and also what are you seeing on the iPhone screen for the "Window" setting?
    If it's easier, can you take an iPhone screen capture of the Movi CR app screen and post it here?

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

10. Troy Lockwood

Troy Lockwood New Member

Here it is

Attached Files:

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Nice. Thanks!

You are indeed in Majestic Mode (sorry, you probably knew that! :) ).

The "Window" setting is at its widest-- that means you have to move the Movi CR quite some distance before it will "react" to the movement and move the camera. The narrower the window, the less you have to move the Movi CR before it will react and move the camera.

Was that the problem to which you were referring, or did I misunderstand?

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

12. Troy Lockwood

Troy Lockwood New Member

Yeah so if I’m walking slow and filming straight ahead it will start to turn on me ? And it’s hard for me to keep the movi straight? Hope I’m explaining this correct..

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

It's drifting? No...it should not be doing that. You should be able to walk in a straight line and, providing you do not rotate the Movi CR, it should stay straight and level.

Can you confirm, if you go into the Movi CR app on the iPhone and tap on the three lines at the top left-hand corner, then to the right of MAIN SETTINGS you see the word "Connected." If you do not see that there, then tap on the ">" in a circle to the right and you should see the Movi CR appear with a name like FF-MOVI-1A19083F (the 1A... may be different). Tap on that to connect the MoVI CR to the app.

But if the app is connected, then check just that the status LED is bright green and changing in brightness and the white battery indicator should show the battery has more than 25% charge.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

14. Troy Lockwood

Troy Lockwood New Member

Here it is I believe it is connected

Attached Files:

15. Troy Lockwood

Troy Lockwood New Member

Attached Files:

16. Troy Lockwood

Troy Lockwood New Member

Battery is green but not changing looks like white light is on the 2nd bar?

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks. Looks like you have custom tuning selected -- try tapping on Regular and see if that works.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™