/dist/images/branding/favicon

Severe Power Issues

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by anthonysneed, May 13, 2018.

1. anthonysneed

anthonysneed Member

My MoVI Pro is giving me serious issues.

For no reason the power will just completely shut off. When it would run, I couldn't run my camera power from the 12v or anything for that matter. Any ideas?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi, can you please elaborate? I’d need a lot more details to give an opinion.

What camera? What accessories? Would the Movi just power off if a camera wasn’t plugged in? We’re you plugged into the 6amp or 2amp dtap port? Have you contacted Freefly support with your issue?

3. anthonysneed

anthonysneed Member

I haven’t contacted freefly, I’ll do so later today,

Camera is a Blackmagic Ursa Mini Pro, two SLS redrock motors.

The Blackmagic was plugged into the 12v D-Tap.

But after problem after problem, I removed everything and got it down to just a camera and still the thing would start up then just completely shut down

4. Graham Futerfas

Haven't used that camera, but are you sure you're definitely plugged into the Camera D-Tap port, not the accessory D-Tap port that's next to it? The Camera DTap has a 6 amp limit, while the accessory one has a 2 amp limit.

5. anthonysneed

anthonysneed Member

I just emailed Freefly.

I tried this without ANY camera or anything attached to the MoVi and it said "critical battery" and powered down. Tried it again and the screen was upside down.

6. Graham Futerfas

Let us know what Support has to say. I'm curious what the solution is. I don't think it liked booting up all out of balance like that, but it probably wouldn't shut down so quickly like it did.

How many batteries do you have? Do they show 4 lights on them (full charge)? Did you try charging them up over night (or at least for 4 hours, in case the chargers are trying to balance the cells by trickle charging)?

7. anthonysneed

anthonysneed Member

I have 5 batteries. They were full

Support is having me send it in.

8. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

Hi guys. When you are charging these batteries and especially if you are going to leave the batteries on charge for extended periods of time, especially overnight do not do this inside your house! Even in "Lipo Bags" as they have proven to be unreliable at containing a lipo fire. There is a very good reason when there is so much print in the Movi manual about battery care and dangers. Do a search for lipo fires on YouTube and the resulting videos will scare the crap out of you. They should always be close by and monitored by someone while charging especially if this is happening somewhere where they near combustible materials.

Wayne

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Also, as a reminder, don't leave the batteries on the MP even when the MP's powered off. There's a slight internal self-discharge that will flat-line the batteries, so I always store the MP with the batteries removed.

Personally, I also prefer to run the batteries down to about 50% if I know I'm not going to be using them for, meh, 10 days or so. It's just kinder to the batteries. Just sayin'. :)

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

10. anthonysneed

anthonysneed Member

Great advice thanks