/dist/images/branding/favicon

How to get this type of shot?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Dominic Boudreault, May 5, 2018.

1. Dominic Boudreault

Dominic Boudreault New Member

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Can you adjust your tuning to get rid of the vibrations?

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Can you confirm that you have the camera etc. properly balanced on the gimbal (such that you can move it into any position and it will stay there rather than swinging back to some other position).

Also, did you do an autotune holding the MoVI as you want to use it? If you autotune it with it on a stand, autotuning will produce stiffness values that will likely cause oscillation (as Graham correctly observes).

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

4. Dominic Boudreault

I do confirm that the camera is properly balanced.

I did an autotune with the Movi on the stand. I thought the Movi should not move at all during the autotune process?

Also, do you mean autotune while the camera is pointing downwards?

Thanks guys!

5. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

AutoTune is just OK. If you're experiencing vibrations or oscillations, you need to go in the app and manually tune it.

For vibrating\buzzing motors, figure out which motor is vibrating (Pan, Tilt or Roll) and do one of two things: Decrease Stiffness, or increase Filter.

Oscillating motors, ones that rock back and forth, need the opposite adjustments.

Autotune will get you close, or it may be wildly off, but I always check things with a manual tuning afterward.

Try it out: Turn the settings far in one direction or another and see how the Movi responds. That's the best way to get a feel for the adjustments you're making, whether they're Tuning, or Majestic settings, or whatever.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Dominic: Yeah, the mantra is "tune it like you want to use it!" And then follow Graham's advice! He's always right (he told me so himself). :D

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

7. Dominic Boudreault

Thanks for the tips guys. I had to remove a lot of the stiffness from the tilt motor. I think I managed to remove most vibrations but still a bit confused between decreasing stiffness vs increasing filter.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Dominic: The following are extracts from the MoVI M15 manual (but the same narrative applies to the M10) and provide a pretty good summary of the Stiffness and Filter settings.

Hope this helps
    Andy

Stiffness: The ‘Stiffness’ setting adjusts the degree to which the MōVI tries to correct for unwanted camera movement. The ‘Stiffness’ setting needs to be set as high as possible without creating unwanted oscillations. When the ‘Stiffness’ is set too high, there will be high frequency ‘buzzing,’ or oscillations. Once these oscillations are felt, the ‘Stiffness’ setting should be reduced until they stop.

Gyro Filter - This setting adjusts the strength of the filter applied to the Gimbal’s gyro sensors. If the Gimbal is experiencing oscillations that cannot be corrected by adjusting Stiffness settings, you can use the Gyro Filter to further tune the Gimbal and remove oscillations. As a general rule, if the oscillations are fast and rough in nature (buzzing), try increasing the Gyro Filter. If the oscillations are slow and smooth in nature (rocking), try decreasing the Gyro Filter.

Output Filter - This setting adjusts the strength of the filter applied to the Gimbal’s motor outputs. If the Gimbal is experiencing oscillations that cannot be corrected by adjusting stiffness settings, you can use the Output Filter to further tune the Gimbal and remove oscillations. As a general rule, if the oscillations are fast and rough in nature (buzzing), try increasing the Output Filter. If the oscillations are slow and smooth in nature (rocking), try decreasing the Output Filter.

The Ground Is The Limit™

9. Dominic Boudreault

Thanks for all the help Andy. I'll do some more testing tomorrow with this in mind.