/dist/images/branding/favicon

Attaching a 3/8-16 dovetail/sliding base plate?

Discussion in 'MōVI XL' started by Vinnie Laraway, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Vinnie Laraway

Vinnie Laraway New Member

The Freefly Arri dovetail has both 3/8-16 and 1/4-20 threads but the base plate above the TSU only has one hole large enough to accept a 3/8-16 bolt. Why even make the Freefly dovetail with both threads if you can only use one 3/8-16 bolt to tie it down?

Most industry standard Arri dovetails I’ve come across have always been 3/8-16 threaded, as are Panavision style plates (PCOB, PCM sliding base plates). Sure, Panavision plates are few and far between but some jobs still use them.

Just trying to wrap my head around the design of the Freefly dovetail and TSU base plate if you can only get one 3/8-16 bolt in there. In terms of rigidity, my thinking is that two tie down points would be the most ideal across the board, considering the violent nature of the auto tune process.

Thoughts?
    -Vinnie

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I use the Cinemilled plate for all my builds. You can use 3/8 and 1/4-20 tripod bolts on it (get the shorter 10mm shafts instead of 12mm shaft length). Or keep 1/4-20 to 3/8-16 bushings in your kit.

As for my suggestion to Freefly, I think they should improve the top-plate and instead of 3x 1/4-20 holes, it should have a groove where you can put the bolts anywhere along it. The hole spacings in the top plate don't line up with many of my builds.