/dist/images/branding/favicon

iPhone Movi Users, What Are You Using for Audio?

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Jason Lombard, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Jason Lombard

Jason Lombard New Member

I haven't been able to experience a Movi first hand yet, but am looking forward to receiving mine. However, I'm interested in capturing better quality audio than what the external mic on my iPhone will provide. Wireless would be optimal, but I prefer not to attempt to counterbalance anything large and mounted to the phone.

What, if anything, are you all using for external audio?

2. Ryan Hawley

Ryan Hawley Member

At this point I haven't needed to record audio yet, but my plan is to use my Rode mics (VMP+ and/or RodeLink) and Zoom, however that will also mean more gear so most likely for very specific purposes.

All that said, I am curious what Freefly has up their sleeves, as the Movi clearly has additional threaded inserts for accessories - and in this video they link to here: You can here Tabb mention the threaded inserts and "future accessories" - so I'm sure there is going to be a lot more coming down the pipeline.

Jason Lombard likes this.
  3. Jason Lombard

Jason Lombard New Member

Thanks Ryan, I appreciate you weighing in. Can't wait to see what Freefly has up their sleeves for accessories.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I've been experimenting with a Lightning extension cable so that I could mount an Zoom IQ5 on the Movi's handle (on the outer top surface). The first extension cable I tried was a little too rigid and it felt like it was torquing the Movi, so I've got some other extension cables on order. Ideally, I plan to mount it on the top flat area of the smart phone clamp so that it tracks the camera.

The other option I was thinking about was to rotate the iPhone X 180 degrees so that the Lightning connector sticks out to the left and therefore I might be able to just use a Lightning extension adapter (not a cable) to have the IQ5 on the iPhone itself. What I found was that when I rotated the iPhone, the video display correctly, but the Movi interface icons are inverted. I suspect that is something that FF will consider fixing in future releases of the app. -- but I can't (and don't) speak for FF.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Jason Lombard likes this.
  5. Jason Lombard

Jason Lombard New Member

I forgot to mention that I'm using an iPhone 8 (not Plus). I don't know that I'm going to need audio right away, as the Movi would primarily be a B camera (or an artsy A camera with no audio). But it's strange to think about making a purchase without having at least considered audio as part of the equation. Worst case, I guess I could run an external recorder (Zoom/Tascam) and use a clap to sync the audio in post as Ryan suggested above.

Thanks for weighing in, Andy.

6. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

I own a Shure Motiv MV88 cause it's small, light and has a Lightning connection. I'm sure it won't work. You have to put it on the right sight where the Lightning port is. But there you also have the counterweights. If not cause of no special lens (like Moment) everything will fall on the right side - cause there are no counterweights on the left. You understand what I mean?

Attached Files:

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah, forget the idea of rotating the iPhone X so that the Lightning connector's on the left as you look at the Movi with the handle in your right hand -- you can just barely find one sweet spot where the gimbal's not in frame, but it's all too easy to get the handle in the frame.

So I'm still looking for a right angled Lightning connector that's a Lightning extension cable that's about 30 cm long and very flexible (or coiled). None found yet.

To get better audio, I think I may try connecting up a Sennheiser radio lav mic and use the Lightning to 3.5mm adapter, or get a Lightning to XLR adapter like this, and then mount a Senn 416 shotgun either on the handle or to the 1/4-20 thread.

8. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

Hi guys, have you seen this at 3:40? Seems FF thought about it and is developing something nice for that ;-)

Darrin Altman likes this.
  9. Darrin Altman

Darrin Altman Member

Obviously the Movi is the right choice for any serious phone video enthusiast. We just have to be patient to get first the Movi and then accessories for it. I also, like I think you, have the Shure Motiv MV88. That would be great to be able to attach it to the Movi somehow and use a lightning cable through the counterweight. I cant receive my Movi soon enough. Apart from the audio capture solution, the only other thing I could wish for is Filmic Pro support or full manual controls via the Movi app.

10. John Woody

John Woody Member

After experiencing the Movi for 24 hours... we’ll ...all I can say it’s awesome! I have been shooting with an iPhone for three years now.
    (https://vimeo.com/channels/iedithd/179049011). The major reason I wanted the Movi was for the access to the lightning input on my iPhone X. Did attach my Sennheiser to the bottom to do some run and gun shooting.

Attached Files:

Frank Algermissen likes this.
  11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Is that a Senn 416, John? How did you provide phantom power?

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

12. John Woody

John Woody Member

Hi Andy... I use a Sennheiser MKE 400. Uses a AAA bat. Does a decent job. Lightweight. I needed to add my Rode SC3 TRRS to TRS adaptor... just couldn’t find it! Having so much fun with the Movi! Also in a few days I have a local farmer friend that is milling me an offset bracket to move the mic to the left a bit.
    John

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for the info John. I had hoped to use the Senn 416, but, as I say, don't have a means for getting phantom power to it.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

14. John Woody

John Woody Member

#14 John Woody, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2018
  15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, John -- looks like the IK Multimedia iRig Pro is just what I would need for the Senn 416, but, as a quick fix, I bought the Senn MKE 400 that you're using. Did you just use a threaded 1/4 x 20 stud to mate the MKE 400 to the underside of the Movi?

Cheers
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

16. John Woods

John Woods New Member

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That'll do it. I have (to verb my nouns) "amazoned" it. :)

Cheers
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

John Woods likes this.
  18. John Woody

John Woody Member

Andy... I used this to attach to bottom of Movi. Notice that the SENNHEISER 400 has a 1/4 thread already on its hotshoe.
    John

Attached Files:

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks John. I've amazoned one of those too.
    I just offered up the Senn 416 in a dead cat to the Movi -- whoa -- the Senn is, errr....rather large in comparison. The MKE 400 looks a little bit more "discreet."

I think other forum members with Movis will find your postings very helpful as the question of audio is obviously going to be one they have.

Cheers
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

20. Laren Elliott

Laren Elliott New Member

Use a Saramonic SmartMixer for mics that need +48v phantom power. Mount the SmartMixer into the bottom 1/4-20 on the bottom of the MOVI. Then your mic can be mounted onto the cold shoe which will be now on the bottom of the SmartMixer. IMG_2883.JPG

John Woody likes this.