/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVI pro pan balance

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Robert Eder, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Robert Eder

Robert Eder New Member

Is there a dedicated workflow for Movi pan balance?

As per my understanding the only balance that can be achieved is forward / aft but not sideways. So some configurations seem unbalanceable, especially heavier ones without removing one battery from the MoVI pro.

On the older systems the whole roll bar could be shifted sideways so what´s the workflow on the MoVI pro?

Best

Gerfried Guggi likes this.
  2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Robert: On the MoVI Pro the camera plate on the gimbal can be unclamped and moved laterally. That said, depending on what you mount on the camera plate or the other parts of the gimbal that rolls, you may well find that you need to add counterweights.

As to workflow, if you've not already seen this, it might answer your questions: https://freeflysystems.zendesk.com/...6-How-do-I-balance-my-camera-on-the-MōVI-Pro-

But post again if you have additional questions!
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Robert Eder

Robert Eder New Member

On the MoVI Pro the camera plate on the gimbal can be unclamped and moved laterally.

Yes. But even in the demo video with Tabb I can see it´s not properly balanced on both sides. (Pan Balance) He balances only one side near the end of the movie. When he rotates pan around 90° then it swings back. That meaning its not pan balanced 360°

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's correct. You adjust in one direction and then, when pan wants to stay in position, then it's close enough. As he says, you just need to get it close as the motors have plenty of power.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

Hi Robert and Andy,

Robert, if you want it done correctly and to take the stress off of the pan motor add a counter weight. This is especially important for drone use where the pan motor sees a lot more strain due to wind and turbulence and more extreme lean angles. The pan motor has enough to do without fighting a rather significant imbalance.

The two bent carbon tubes that make up the backbone of the Pro are apparently built in a fixture with the two clamping braces on each side of the pan motor. Those two braces are not only clamped to the boom, but glued in place. If they had not been glued in place you could simply unlock the pan adjustment clamps, loosen those two clamp brackets on both sides of the pan motor, loosen the brain/roll axis clamps at the bottom of the gimbal and simply twist the booms/brain assembly to the left (as viewed from the back of the gimbal and fix the imbalance. I can only assume that they glued those to supporting clamp/brackets in place to prevent slippage, especially when the gimbal is mounted upside down on a drone, as that would be a major disaster.

I just used one of the 25mm boom clamps from a Cinestar with two standoffs on one side and then screwed two bars of motorcycle wheel weights to the end of the standoffs. Since I am not powering any external devices with the mounts power ports I just use one battery to power the gimbal. The counter weight that I made can simply be moved to the other side when powering the gimbal with one battery and the balance works out perfect on my Pro.

For us OCD types, close enough is only close enough when it is perfect.

I hope this helps.

Wayne Mann
    www.helicamhighdefmedia.com

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Nice solution, Wayne! Might I entice you post an image of your setup when convenient?

Thanks
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

7. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

Hi Andy,

Here is the picture. I have the counterbalance mounted to the left side of the machine, as viewed from the front. It is on that side as I fly the Pro with just one battery and it is mounted on the right side. If I were using two batteries then the weight would be on the right side to counteract the natural imbalance in the Pro. The two gold standoffs are 65mm long and there are 3 strips with four 1/4 oz motorcycle weights totaling 3 oz. I have the weight up on top, but it can go anywhere. I will likely move it to the back and down low, but right now my Connex antennas are right there.

Attached Files:

Graham Futerfas and Ben Platts like this.
  8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hey thanks, Wayne. I think that will give other forum members a great insight as to how to add counterbalances.

Cheers
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

9. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

10. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Nice Solution Wayne. I sent 2 Pro's back as they were so out of balance on the pan. I finally have one thats pretty good and just mount my paralinx TX on one side to add a tiny bit of counter weight. Pretty spot on now. Seems fairly hit and miss how balanced the pan is from one pro to the next. I am also OCD on the balancing flying the pro pretty much 99% of the time. Definitely makes a difference to how high you can get those stiffnesses without oscillations.

11. Robert Eder

Robert Eder New Member

Thanks for the tips Wayne! Really appreciate.

If heard there is quite some variance with the pros in terms of balance.

12. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

You are welcome Robert. It is just a manufacturing thing. As long as I can fix it to a somewhat satisfactory condition I can live with it. So far the Pro is doing extremely well. There are a couple little nit picky things, but overall I am very happy with it. Some of the things that guys on here were complaining about have not been an issue for me, at least not yet.

Wayne
    www.helicamhighdefmedia.com