/dist/images/branding/favicon

Briefcase mode for The XL

Discussion in 'MōVI XL' started by Oli Harris, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Oli Harris

Oli Harris New Member

I would like to use the Movi XL in briefcase mode off the end of a techno crane. does anyone have any tips or tricks for this.
    I really just want to look straight down at maximum height.
    Or even to use it in Matrix mode like on the promo video when it was attached to the Kuka robot.

I tested mounting point rotation (like the M7 Head ) and the Movi didn't like it much

Thanks in advance

2. Gabriel Camacho

Gabriel Camacho New Member

You nose mounted the XL?? Any success?? I was trying that the other day. It needs to be turned on in over or underslung mode

3. Gabriel Camacho

Gabriel Camacho New Member

What do you mean briefcase mode?

4. Oli Harris

Oli Harris New Member

Movi and ronin all had a mode where you hold the bar on its side and the first axis becomes the roll and the second becomes pan and the tilt remains tilt
    On the release video for the Movi xl it is seen to move through a window frame in this mode, like this Mvi xl briefcase mode.png

5. Matias Mesa

Matias Mesa New Member

One thing is transitioning through that mode and a much different one is operating in that mode, I dont think the XL like to change functions on its axis unlike other standard heads. Im sure if would go bananas if you tell the XL that the tilt is now the pan, etc....

6. Oli Harris

Oli Harris New Member

I'm assuming it would work as you could on the m15 etc
    It was a great selling point for me to be able to do this
    anyway see how things go

7. Oli Harris

Oli Harris New Member

Have you seen the cyberstore digital instagram post today?
    Looks like movi haven't got their complete shit together re the pointing but basically working through briefcase mode to over and under slung

With regards to "telling the movi" about the mount frame change, it should know where that is based of its reference frame, I mean Alexmos could do it, and these guys basically started from there

looks promising

will keep trying

8. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

We were intrigued by this post, so we looked into it!

After mounting a MōVI XL to our robot, we concluded the following:
    • The XL can be used in the nose mount orientation when it is booted normally (gimbal up/down) and then armed in the nose mount orientation.
    • The MōVI Controller is the preferred controller for this application, but if you do try the MIMIC, we recommend Majestic MIMIC with high smoothing and a large window.

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  9. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Thanks Bryan, a couple of us were talking about this mode with someone who was testing it on a Movi Pro, and they wanted the Pan Motor to become the Roll axis (so it could Roll 360 degrees), but the Movi Controller Joystick wouldn't work that way. The Pan and Roll axis swapped automatically somehow, and Pan remained Pan, maybe due to the Gyros\sensors?

Anyway, they were only able to get it to Roll that way by using the Mimic.

I worked on a Movi XL shot a few months ago that needed to mount the Movi at a 45-degree angle on an I-beam rig the grips made, and the Movi XL would not boot on that angle. We had to put it on a level tripod, boot it up, put the motors to sleep, then move it to the angled rig and wake the motors up.

10. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

Axis translation is normal, but I would have to rig this up and try it. Our testing for nose mounting was specifically regarding MōVI XL.

Yes, that is what I meant by booting it in a traditional orientation (up or down position) and then mounting or moving the system to an alternate position before arming the motors. The MōVI XL requires up/down position for boot, as a safety precaution and part of the initialization sequence.

Erin Trout and Graham Futerfas like this.
  11. Oli Harris

Oli Harris New Member

great stuff you guys
    basically the poorman's space cam
    excellent

Ben Ruffell likes this.