/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian Firmware 1.03

Discussion in 'Radian' started by John Cunningham, Nov 19, 2012.

1. John Cunningham

Sylvio,

The serial numbers are OK : ther shouldn't be an issue with the bootloader for these modules.

Just to confirm a few points:

1) Once it has finished loading the firmware, the module will stay in bootloader mode until you cycle the power.
    2) On the powerup, does the green LED flash at all - or are both LED's immediately on ?.
    3) They are all doing it the same right ? - even when you only have power into port 1 ?.
    4) If so, could you try to make a link from a servo cable (connecting the two outer pins like a bind plug) and fit it to port 5 of the Radian, then check if it goes into bootloader or not.

I'm a bit busy on some other work for a couple of weeks so I've only got a short window each day to check the forum I'm afraid ..

2. Sylvio Rangel

Sylvio Rangel Member

Andy/JohnC,

Here is a video of what's happening. My connections are Lipo3s => on/offswitch => Turnigy UBec 5v => Radian.
    Futaba Rx is NOT connected to anything.
    Power cable connected to Radian comes straight from the UBec.
    Same result if I power the Radian by plugging/unplugging power cable, instead of using the on/off switch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8vXCWWx3IA&feature=youtu.be

That's my Bec.
    http://www.hobbyunicorn.com.au/buy/turnigy-3a-ubec-bec-5v-6v-switchmode/4319

Thanks for your help,
    Sylvio

3. Sylvio Rangel

Sylvio Rangel Member

Hey JohnC,

Your repply came in as I clicked "Post Repply". What a coincidence!!!!

I will check and repply asap.

Tks.

4. John Cunningham

Sylvio, whatever we find here we aren't going to be able to fix it properly as the bootloader gets in before anything else and we can't change it. From the video, it is definitely going directly into the bootloader.

I think you need to exchange the affected module/s with the dealer so that the defective one/s can come back to me for investigation.

Sorry for the hassle,

John.

5. Sylvio Rangel

Sylvio Rangel Member

JonhC, Thanks to you and Andy for your great support.

I will send the 3 units them back to Jean at Flycam to get them replaced.

Could you please copy Tabb or Megan about that, as they needed the video to confirm the problem.

All the best,
    Sylvio

6. John Cunningham

Sylvio, do all 3 Radians do the same thing ?. It just seems quite strange.

7. Sylvio Rangel

Sylvio Rangel Member

All the same.

8. Sylvio Rangel

Sylvio Rangel Member

The short on port 5 fixes the problem.

9. Sylvio Rangel

Sylvio Rangel Member

"1) Once it has finished loading the firmware, the module will stay in bootloader mode until you cycle the power."

The lights goes from Yellow/Green to solid Green during the firmware upload. Back to Yellow/Green once upload
    is finished and stays like that untill I power off.

10. Sylvio Rangel

Sylvio Rangel Member

I also tried powering it with a 4,8v Nicd pack. The same!!!!

11. John Cunningham

Thanks Sylvio,

If the link fixed it then they definitely have the bootloader issue.

12. Graham Tolhurst

Graham Tolhurst New Member

Hi all, I'm new to Radians and this forum. I have had the same problem as a few others on here. After updating firmware to 1.03, the Radian will always go into bootloader mode when powered on. The firmware version reported by the bootloader program is 255:255 (no firmware installed). If I try reprogramming with v1.03, it fails every time. Andy's post #102 in this thread has a revised firmware version 1.03(28-99). I tried programming with this version and it worked. So I then tried reprogramming with the standard 1.03 version and it failed again. Retrying with 1.03(28-99) worked fine. My other two Radians both worked ok with the standard 1.03 version. The serial number of the Radian that doesn't like 1.03 is 010A-0AF6:000000. The serial number of one of the Radians that likes 1.03 is 0101-0446:000000. The 010A-0AF6 Radian was supplied by Kopterworx after we opened the three axis Radian kit and found one Radian missing from the box.
    Why won't this Radian accept the standard 1.03 firmware? Will it accept future updates? Should I return it to Kopterworx for a replacement unit? There are a few other posts about this same problem on this forum, but no explanation as to why this happens with some Radians.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Interesting discovery, Graham. Thanks for the detailed post.
    I suspect JohnC will need to comment on what you've found as he can related serial numbers to specific hardware. I don't have that info (it's above my pay grade. :) )

Andy.

14. Graham Tolhurst

I'm glad my Radian is working ok now, but I'm concerned that I will have repeat problems with future updates. This Radian wasn't supplied with the other two Radians, as there was one missing from the three axis box and Kopterworx sent this one to us after we told them. The serial number of this Radian is a lot different than the other two Radians.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I share the concern. As far as the firmware is concerned, I'm just the "delivery boy" so I'd like to understand what the differences are too.

Andy.

16. John Cunningham

Hey Graham/Andy,

There is nothing wrong with the Radians you have regarding the serial numbers. All that is happening is that Freefly license the software in the modules from CARVEC Systems in the UK and the bootloader has a mechansim to ensure only licensed serial numbers can be loaded with the firmware.

When a new batch is licensed, the firmware is generated which will load into every module up to the new limit. An 'old' firmware might not load into a 'new' module - but the version on the Freefly website will be kept at the latest. 'New' firmware will always load into 'Old' modules so you have no need to worry about that.

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for the ultra-rapid response, John. Much appreciated.
    Or as they say in the local parlance, "you da man!"

Andy.

18. Graham Tolhurst

Hi John,
    Thanks for putting my mind at rest. That's good news. But does this mean that my Radian was too new for the version of firmware that's currently on your website? If so, then surely there will be lots of other people encountering this same problem and spendind a lot of time searching this forum for answers.

19. Graham Tolhurst

I've just downloaded the latest firmware and it's now on the website as 1.03(28-99). I must have been very unlucky and downloaded the previous version 1.03 just before the website was updated, so my previous post above can be ignored :)

20. John Cunningham

Graham, if the Radian is 'too new' for the latest firmware, it means it already has the latest firmware installed.

When you clicked the 'Connect To Target', button for the bootloader, it would have shown 1.03 was in there already ...