/dist/images/branding/favicon

Extending Movi Controller range

Discussion in 'MōVI Controller' started by Andrew Griffiths, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Mike Gentilini Jr.

2. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson New Member

Has anyone experimented with wifi repeaters? The kind you can buy to extend your home routers signal into the garden, such as: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cre/NETG...d=1502807656&sr=8-1&keywords=netgear+repeater

I know this wouldn't be much use to some of you drone fliers, but if you are in a noisy RF environment where signal is very poor you could set up a few of these to guarantee coverage where you need it. I'm just not sure if latency would be an issue or even if it would create dual signals which would confuse the poor little Movi.

3. Sam Peacocke

Sam Peacocke Member

Hi guys,

We have had great results fitting a 2.4GHz Circular Polarised antenna to both the MoVi Controller using the SMA connector and to the receiver by replacing the whip antenna with a UFL to SMA adapter cable. We use a MoVi Pro and have the receiver mounted in a 3D printed box that hangs off the LH side of the pan arms. The Circular Wireless antenna just screws into the SMA connector and hangs out the bottom just near the rear landing foot. Never have any range problems anymore :)

Regards,

Sam

4. Mark Hoffman

Mark Hoffman Active Member

Sam
    Would you mind sharing the 3d file for your mounting box?
    Thanks

Mark

Rob Weidner likes this.
  5. Robin Opgård

Robin Opgård New Member

Might there be any way to connect a Movi Controller to the Mimic? The Mimic has great range, and since most of us has the Mimic that would be a simple solution?

6. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson New Member

We had good results in addition to our 3W booster (which is actually 0.5W after putting it through a spectrum analyser) modifying our M15 to have an antenna. It's actually very cheap and easy to do.

Crack open the TX/RX box on the Movi (the part that the antenna comes out of) you'll see the antenna is attached to the X-Bee board with a tiny connector (IPX).
    Buy a IPX to SMA adapter (ebay, amazon etc.) swap it out with the antenna and then you can just attach any normal SMA antenna!
    (Make sure you have the right genders, WIFI stuff uses the opposite to standard RF kit)

I'm not claiming this will solve all your problems but it helped us get an extra 10m in an extremely RF saturated environment, which was a huge help. So in a more normal environment it could help quite a bit.

We are also looking at converting our whole system to UHF, which would be a dream. Just think, 20km range, you could operate from bed!

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  7. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Operate from bed? Now there's a goal for 2018!!

8. Taki Darendeli

Taki Darendeli New Member

Hello everybody.

I have a Alta 8, Movi m10, wedge and movi controller. So what is the last solution for 3 km range wedge and movi m10?
    If anyone can tell the most practical solution, it will be great for anyone who has this problem.

thank you.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

It's a variation on the theme of "make money while you sleep," Graham. :)

Cheers
    Andy

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT likes this.
  10. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

I make money while I sleep, on a fairly regular basis. Then I wake up and it's gone!

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT likes this.
  11. Trevor Beeler

Trevor Beeler New Member

I would love to see photos of your setup