/dist/images/branding/favicon

Handheld movement using movi?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by James Peterson, Feb 25, 2018.

1. James Peterson

James Peterson New Member

I’m trying to use a MōVI Pro in a car mount situation or when it too dangerous for an operator to be close to the action. Is there a way to make the movi work with movement similar to what a human would create? I remember this being something explored with the original movi. I’d like the organic energy a shoulder mount camera would achieve.

Thank you so much!

-James

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

You could try using the Mimic, and put it in Direct mode to allow for Roll movements as well as Pan and Tilt.

Mounting the Movi to a moving car can be a frustrating experience because of the Heading Assist. If the car takes a turn, Heading Assist off will cause the Movi to keep pointing in the same direction, and thus not at your subject. With it on, the Movi will sort of track the subject, but it will be delayed. If you need it to track a point in the car naturally, the Movi isn't the way to go.

3. James Peterson

James Peterson New Member

What a great suggestion on the mimic! I normally use the movi controller but would love a handheld feel. Ultimately I need to mount a person :)

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

If the car is running a straight shot, you have a chance at it working. It doesn’t sound like a great shot for Movi because of heading assist, but maybe could work.

On a related note, IATSE 600 just issued new safety guidelines of handheld in the front seat of a car with airbags.