/dist/images/branding/favicon

Remote for a Mövi M15

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Julien Borne, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Julien Borne

Julien Borne New Member

I bought a used M15 from a rental house I'm working with frequently (they are upgrading all their gimbals to Mövi Pros). But they did not sell a remote with this one.
    I also managed to buy a used Mimic form another source.

So I'm looking to buy a proper remote* for my M15, and I have a few questions :

- Does the "standard" M15 comes with a receiver for the spektrum DX7S transmitter ?
    - If so can I just get a DX7S and it'll work right away out of the box (once paired with the receiver in the M15 of course) ?
    - If not do I need to get a specific receiver or will the Mimic receiver will do the job ?
    - Are the spektrum receivers sold with DX7S - for model planes for example - compatible ?

* would love to get a Mövi controller... but it out of me reach for the moment :'p

Noel Mathew likes this.
  2. Jeff And

Jeff And New Member

Julien, yeah, I'm in the same boat.

I did look through the older threads to look for what everyone is using, but a lot of them are very out of date

There should be basic specs for pairing a RC controller and Movi M15, so we can choose which controller works best for us, but I couldn't find that information.

i.e. Spektrum has controllers that cost $60 and other ones that cost $800+

3. Julien Borne

Julien Borne New Member

Hi @Jeff And

I did get the right information going through the freefly support. Here is their answer :

4. Jeff And

Jeff And New Member

Thanks for the info man... do wonder if there are newer options that might be cheaper, but maybe these are very reliable

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Julien, Jeff: This might help: https://freeflysystems.zendesk.com/...ktrum-DX7s-DX8-transmitter-to-the-M5-M10-M15-

It tells you how to do the Spektrum pairing with the M15 and also confirms that you can use a DX7s or DX8.

Hope this helps
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. Julien Borne

Julien Borne New Member

Thanks @Andy Johnson-Laird I did manage to bind the M15 to the remote but at the cost of unplugging my MIMIC receiver.

And as soon as I plug back the spektrum receiver trough the MIMIC receiver... there is not reaction from the M15 when the remote is on. (I still see that the spektrum receiver is getting the info - since the led is blinking - but no reaction, looks like the MIMIC system filters the commands)
    Isn't it possible to have the two remote systems wired at the same time ?

7. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Julien, are you plugging the Spektrum receiver into the side of the Mimic\Movi Controller Receiver?

While I think there is a 3-pin plug in the Mimic receiver, I always plugged the Spektrum in directly to the Movi, up under the cap where they both can plug in. I kept them both plugged in at once and it worked well. You have to remove the cover to plug them in and route the cables out the strain relief, but they should plug in directly to the Movi, and not into each other.

Roy Mills and Bryan Edmonds like this.
  8. Julien Borne

Julien Borne New Member

Weirdly, I actually succeeded at having both the remote working with the mimic receiver still plugged in.

But the spektrum receiver is connected to the MOVI directly (not through the MIMIC) and also the remote doesn't work at all as the "official Spektrum sold but freefly" does.

I only managed to have a few axis to send info (must be a remote settings I can't figure out). The pan is on the right L-R axis, tilt is on the left T-B axis, and Roll is on the front right knob.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

What model file do you have selected in the Spektrum transmitter, Julien? The model file is responsible for "mapping" which transmitter joysticks, switches, etc, send signals on which radio control channels. The fact that you have some controls working but not others suggests that this transmitter mapping is incorrect.

You can download the correct model file (FF calls them "presets") from here: https://freeflysystems.zendesk.com/...w-do-I-load-the-MōVI-preset-onto-my-DX7s-DX8-

For example: https://freeflysystems.zendesk.com/...mapping-for-my-Futaba-or-Spektrum-controller-

Also see:

Hope this helps.
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert