/dist/images/branding/favicon

Intense shake/vibration

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Seth Terwilliger, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Seth Terwilliger

Seth Terwilliger New Member

Hello,

So I just got my movi and after balancing it and running Autotune when I power it up there is an audible noise and constant vibration throughout. Also when I pick it up via the top handle it shakes/vibrates vigorously. Please help!

Thanks,

Seth

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

It sounds like you're autotuning when it's standing on it's feet -- and you need to "tune it as you use it" -- the problem being that the resonant frequencies (which is what autotuning detects) change when you're holding it via the top handle. Also, autotune is not a "complete" solution -- it's intended to adjust the stiffness values to their approximately correct values. So plan on fine tuning it after you have autotuned otherwise you'll get the shakes that you describe.

Finally, and just out of curiosity, what do you have mounted on the gimbal? There is a minimum weight below which the autotune really will not work well (e.g. don't try and autotune it with an iPhone, say!) :)

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Seth Terwilliger

Thank you for your reply! I have tried autotuning while holding it and that has corrected the issue. I have a gh5 on my movi.

Thanks,

Seth

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Seth:
    Great! The Pannie GH5 is a little bit on the light end of the spectrum, but I have a GH4 and it autotunes OK provided I do the autotune holding both sides of the ring. When I fly the MoVI Pro on an ALTA I have to suspend the ALTA from a C-stand to simulate in-flight dynamics and then do the autotune....but I usually find I have to tweak the stiffness values up or down a bit to get it just right. I do an autotune with the ALTA suspended and then tap the landing gear to see if I can induce an attack of the "shakes." The adjustment is pretty subtle and therefore I have to resist the temptation to make large changes to stiffness values otherwise I can blow right past the sweet spot.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Seth Terwilliger

How can I find the right stiffness for my camera after using Autotune? As in how do I check it? I recently won a movi pro via their contest and am very new when it comes to gimbals.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Have you seen this:

Hope this helps...
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

7. Andreas Riem

Andreas Riem Member

Andy, is it possible that you share your lightweight MOVI values?

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Andreas: I don't have a set values, I'm afraid. I just use autotune, holding the MoVI as I intend to use it and that gets me into the ballpark -- the values change depending on camera, lens, other stuff on the moving part of the gimbal.

So there really are no "right" values, I'm afraid.
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

9. Andreas Riem

Andreas Riem Member

Yes, I know that there are no „right“ values caused by the reasons you named. I just look for „simmilar“ ligtweight values to verify my doing.

10. Andreas Riem

Andreas Riem Member

Values from today. Sony a7RIII with GM24-70 F2.8.

Attached Files:

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

OK. I'll post those when I get back to my studio. I've only got a 5D Mk III available right now....that's even lighter than the A7RIII.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

12. Andreas Riem

Andreas Riem Member

Thanks Andy! My values came from an ALTA6.