/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVI Pro Battery Issues

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Josh Lambeth, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,
    I have 6 MPro batteries and 4 charges. All purchased at different times. Currently I only get about 35 minutes of run time on the batteries with a RED Epic MX on board. Also if the batteries are under 35% I can't hot swap without loosing power to the entire rig.

When I charge the batteries the charge light goes red for a short amount of time then flashes red and green for almost 4 hours before it will finally go solid green.

Anyone else have these issues? Thanks!

Josh

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

3. Brandon Obey

Brandon Obey Member

I have the same issue.

When the batteries are on the charger, I see the indicator light on the charger flashing red and green until there is a solid green light on the charger also.

#3 Brandon Obey, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  4. Alex Jasiukowicz

Alex Jasiukowicz New Member

We first started having this issue about the same time you did. The LEDs flashing red and green for hours is normal....it apparently is the battery and charger balancing the charge between the individual cells in the battery. When it’s all balanced the LED will stay green. But for us, fully charged and balanced bats are running 30 min before showing critical and a hot swap generally kills the rig, even when we ar3 only using the MōVI bats to power the MōVI.

5. Rudy Lehfeldt-Ehlinger

Ive also been having the same issue, I was blaming it on the cold even with foot warmers on the batteries... let me know what you learn?

6. Timothee Ferreira

Timothee Ferreira New Member

We have also been having terrible life out of our batteries, we purchased 10 currently sitting at 2...whats going on freefly?

7. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Are you all storage charging the batteries if they won't be used for more than a couple days? As they are Lipo batteries still thats pretty important. I've read on a different forum that if storage fully charged a lipo will loose around 0.5% capacity a day, so if they've always been kept fully charged for long periods they might just be dead. It does't help that the only way to discharge them is to run them down on the Movi but they should be kept at around 50% charge. I've had mine for over a year now and have np issues so far. I have a friend who had 12 fully charged for about 3 months and they all died.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Ben: Yes, I'd recommend doing that. LiPo's do have some internal self-discharge so it's worth declaring a "Lipo Checking Day" once every month or so to make sure that they've not internally self-discharged to zero.

I think the the MoVI Pro's batteries have a battery management circuit that prevents internal self-discharge to zero, but I'm not sure. The flight batteries typically do not (DJI batteries do, but even that managed to kill four of my Inspire 1 batteries and I experienced the dubious pleasure of DJI customer support....don't get me started. :rolleyes:)

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

9. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Lately I've been discharging my batteries by plugging in a video transmitter and a 5" monitor into the D-Tap ports of the Movi, turning it on with no camera or anything, and just quickly put it into sleep mode. I just lay the transmitter and monitor on the floor, and they act like little vampires that drain the batteries. I have to check in on them every once in a while and swap batts when they get to about 50%, but I don't have a high-draw camera at home to drain things.

Now that my Movi Pro is almost a year and a half old, I've also started to buy a few more batteries so there are some new ones in the kit.