/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tero Battery - Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Freefly Tero' started by David Weldon, Jan 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. David Weldon

David Weldon New Member

Hi, I'm about to work a job where the DP has his own Tero but turns out we don't have any batteries, as his Tero hasn't been in use in a long time.

I am either looking to rent some in Los Angeles or find an alternative solution.

I could either get something like;
    https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXLH8&P=7

or

Would it be possible to adapt the MoVi XL batteries to work on the Tero?

Thanks for the help

2. DO NOT use MoVI XL batteries on the TERO unit.

Here are the TERO battery specs you need to use as reference.
    • Battery Type: Lithium Polymer
    • Capacity: 5.5Ah
    • Voltage: 14.8V
    • Max Continuous Discharge: 20C (110 A)
    • Max Charge Voltage: 4.2V per cell
    • Minimum Discharge Voltage: 3.0V per cell
    • Dimensions: 139mm x 42mm x 42mm
    • Weight: 566g / 20oz

Attached Files:

3. David Weldon

David Weldon New Member

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info. Is there a particular reason why not to use the Movi XL Batteries? I had an adapter made today and it did work, but I assume there might be a long-term negative effect?

I'm having trouble sourcing any sort of battery that fits those specs here in Los Angeles at the moment. There are no Tero batteries anywhere and the hobby shops aren't fully up-to-date with their online catalogs.

4. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson New Member

Actually, the Movi XL batteries are a better spec than the Tero ones. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't work, unless there is some sort of digital/data interface that pairs them with the Movi. If they are working as you say David, they shouldn't do any harm. As long as you look after them as with any other LiPo battery.

I've posted before about the Tero batteries and that you SHOULD NOT USE THEM, especially if you are driving fast. Let's face it, I bet everyone has taken the camera/gimbal off and thrashed it about. The reason is that the manufacturers of the motor (Castle Creations) and the buggy (HPI) recommend you use at least 30C.
    The C rating is the max current (Amp) draw of the battery, if you exceed the max draw of the battery it heats up, and worst case explodes/catches fire (FYI LiPo fires are bad).
    I grant you, this is an unlikely scenario and you will probably not or rarely exceed the 20C rating but still.

In comparison the Tero batteries are 4S(14.8v) and the XL's are 6S (22.2v), which means more power for the Tero, faster, better acceleration and crucially, smoother starts. The Tero is rated up to 8S batteries, so if you have two standard batteries you can connect them in series to get 8S.

Also, just look up the battery specs and go buy some from a model shop, because the Freefly ones are EXPENSIVE. There's nothing special about the Tero batteries (same goes for Movi M's) and the XL batteries just look like they have a built in capacity display, again nothing special.

On our Tero we use two 4S batteries (Overlander Supersport Pro 5Ah) in series (8S). Not only are they better but they cost £30 (about $40), a third cheaper than Freefly's... surprise surprise.

5. Andreas Riem

Andreas Riem Member

The origin of Tero is that it is an rc bashing sports car. And the original Castle motor and esc are developed for a input-voltage from 3 to 8s which means that you have app. 10hp at the end... So why not use a 6s 10.000 mAh 25C battery? Ok, it is more difficult to drive with that much power, but technically I do not see your limitation.