/dist/images/branding/favicon

Shooting out of a Helicopter

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Kurt Wallrath, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

On Tuesday of next week, I'm going to be shooting out the side of a helicopter, holding a MoVI Pro (MP) with an Alexa Mini. We might partially secure the MP with straps and I'll hold it and the dp might control the MP with the Mimic Pro.

The dp is going to want to control the MP in majestic mode but I think the Mimic Pro makes more sense. We won't be flying fast but I'm sure there will be turbulence from the propellers.

Has anyone had a similar shoot and if so, what recommendations can you make? How did you operate the MoVI? Did the force of the wind affect the MP?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

2. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

3. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

Hi Kurt,

I did not check out the other thread. Personally I would use a remote control transmitter, two stick radio for this job as the Mimic may have issues when the helicopter banks and turns. The Movi is already going to most likely have some issues when the helicopter banks and turns, been there and done that. The Mimic due to the way it works, never used one, may cause additional issues with the gimbal when the helicopter banks and turns.

Wayne Mann
    www.HeliCamHighDefmedia.com

4. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Hey Wayne,

Thanks for the reply! I'll change "heading assist" to GPS to help with the banks and turns. However, I'm fearing the wash from the propellers might fight the MoVI.

Long story short, due to scheduling, setting up a remote (Spectrum DX7) would be very difficult. It terms of controlling the camera, would the Spektrum have any advantages over the Mimic Pro?

Thanks again!

5. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

You do not want to use a Mimic in a moving vehicle of any kind. Every bump, every g-force you feel, every change of angle that happens to your body will translate into camera movement. It will be almost like shooting handheld. The only thing the MoVI will do is take out the high-frequency vibration and maybe a little of the rotor induced low frequency pulsing you can get in a helicopter.

Use a controller you can firmly brace on your lap, strap in tight and frame the shot that way. Let the Movi stabilize the platform but point the camera with the controller. It will take some practice. I would spend at least an hour in a car practicing with a controller before climbing in the aircraft. Take this advice for a commercial multi-engine fixed-wing pilot with more than 9,000 hours of flight time, more than 3,500 hours of flying and operating wing and fuselage mounted film and video cameras and more than 2,500 hours of filming from helicopters using everything from handheld to SpaceCam rigs. I've even used my MoVI pro briefly in a Cessna 210 with the door off.

Also, do not the Movi rig get in the slipstream and make sure that it and the operator are securely tethered to the aircraft. Make sure the pilot has the paperwork with him that allows him to operate with the door off or open. This requires paperwork on almost all aircraft and if they don't have the paperwork NONE of the insurance is going to pay for anything. You are on the hook.

Not trying to scare you but uneducated folks just jumping in flying machines on the word of an enthusiastic pilot willing to share his aircraft often regret the entire experience and sometimes end up dead.

If you have ever seen Canyon Dreams, Desert Vision, Natural States, Over Washington or any of a couple hundred other productions with great aerials check the credits. That was me operating the camera and in many cases flying the plane at the same time.

6. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Hey Rick,

Thanks a million for your advice. I decided to go with the MoVI Controller. I have used the MoVI Controller sticks before and I'm fairly comfortable with it but practicing out of a moving vehicle is definitely a good idea.

Also, thanks for recommending I speak with the pilot about his ratings. I'm going to email production and make sure he brings his paperwork that proves he is certified to fly with the doors removed.

Great advice Rick,

-K

7. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

It is not the pilot that must be certified but the aircraft. You are looking for a 337 or an STC or a note in the standard operating handbook for the aircraft that flight with the door removed or open is permitted. Open windows are permitted on most birds but open or removed doors are rarely approved for normal operations without some additional paperwork.

8. Patrick Zander

Patrick Zander New Member

Chris from Freefly said GPS Heading assist is not working at the moment. You should set it to "compass"

They´re working on a firmware update to fix it (hopefully)