/dist/images/branding/favicon

Focus Throw Error

Discussion in 'MōVI Controller' started by Gus Winkelman, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Gus Winkelman

Gus Winkelman New Member

Hey everyone,

I'm racking my brain over here and cant seem to troubleshoot this lens issue.

Camera: Red Epic W
    Gimbal: Movi M10
    Lens: Canon CN-E 14mm 3.1
    Movi Controller for Focus and camera control.

Im using a RR FF unit paired through the Movi Controller on an M10 with the most up to date firmware.

I can control the lens but will NOT get the full throw ( Infiniti - 8" ) even when I do a custom calibration set the in and out at respective distances. The most throw I can get is from Infiniti to about 2'.

I've tried adjusting the torque speed, but it seems like the RR unit wont do more than 2 revolutions to hit the nearest focus distance.

I have a shoot coming up on Monday and really want to get this fixed. I usually just have my AC adjust the motor so I can get the correct throw but then I lose the ability to focus at any distance I would like which is beyond infuriating.

The weird part is when I connect my finger wheel focus controller I get full throw to infiniti and near with ease and no issues.

Any input is greatly appreciated

2. Kenny Nevor

Kenny Nevor New Member

you can re zero the focus wheel on the movi controller. I had to do that with mine. I cant find the procedure at the moment. I can track it down in the morning.

From a post by Byran Edmonds

There is a calibration option in the MōVI Controller under the Tx Config::Tx Action menu.

1. Turn the Focus wheel all the way to the right.
    2. Flip the User 3 switch to the "up" position.
    3. Under Tx Config::Tx Action scroll to Calibrate and press SET
    4. Turn the Focus wheel all the way to the left.
    5. Flip the User 3 switch to the "down" position.
    6. Under Tx Config::Tx Action scroll to Calibrate and press SET
    7. Under Tx Config::Tx Action scroll to Save and press SET

Check out page 28 of the MōVI Controller Manual for future reference on this process.

#2 Kenny Nevor, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Gus Winkelman likes this.