/dist/images/branding/favicon

Canon 18-80 F4.4 | RED | MoVI

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by James Winegar, Dec 17, 2017.

1. James Winegar

James Winegar New Member

After completely failing to balance an Angenieux 30-90 T2.0 I'm left searching for a zoom lens option that would work on a RED on the MoVi Pro. Is the Canon 18-80 F4.4 my only option?! I actually have not tried balancing this lens yet but I am looking to rent it for a couple weeks on an upcoming project. Bad idea? Am I fool? Any input on zoom lens options from anyone's experience would be greatly helpful. I will be shooting mounted to a car with the MoVi Pro, a RED Weapon, on a Black Arm, using Heden motors, and the MoVi Controller.

If only Funjinon would release its MK 18-50 and 50-135 in a Canon or PL mount (Realizing due to flange distance it would not be possible to produce a lense with the same form factor as the E mount Fujinon) but if only it were possible...

Compact parfocal fixed aperture lenses that are light enough for gimbal use... Do unicorns exist?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I've used a 16-42 optimo and an 18-35mm Sigma. You need counterweights.

3. Graham Futerfas

Also, 19-90 Cabrio. Ignite Digi sells til offsets that help a lot with these heavier lenses.

4. James Winegar

James Winegar New Member

Thanks Graham. Amazing the Cabrio works. I will have to try those lenses. Curious how the Sigma looks too. I have used this counterweight in the past. Have you used something better?

goo.gl/FySr3w

5. Graham Futerfas

I use the Cinemilled plate and counterweight system, and it's really helpful. I have 4 each of the 1-inch and 2-inch weights. I've also built some of my own counterweights from the hardware store, and I think the Ignite tilt offsets are helpful.

The downside to counterweights is they're just adding weight to the whole system and are just 'dead weight', which is going to make your motors work harder and get less performance, and also they can get in the way and hit the back of the gimbal.

One counterweight I built for the Arri Mini, and it weighs about 3lb., is a metal L-bracket that I can stick on the operator's side of the camera, where there's some real-estate not taken up by buttons or air vents. It's great for heavy lenses, and I'm trying to think if the RED has a similar dead space on it. This counterweight stays flat to the side of the camera and doesn't hit the cage, roll beam, or anything else. Cost about $8 at the hardware store and is made of construction ties, and it sticks to the top and bottom of the camera with a little velcro, and I put a bongo tie on there too. You could also put velcro on there and stick a Preston MDR if you need.

IMG_2732.jpg

6. James Winegar

James Winegar New Member

That counterweight build is amazing. Solves the camera with weights on back hitting the back of the MoVi... Really appreciate your responses. Excited to try some new things.

Out of curiosity what did you think of the Sigma Zooms you used? Obviously the Cabrio and Optimo are quality. Curious how well the Sigmas actually perform.

7. Graham Futerfas

The Sigma's are OK. I wasn't shooting anything for big screen, and a lot of my work ends up in Broadcast or Web. As a DP, I don't usually like Zooms and prefer to shoot with Primes, but sometimes you need to use a zoom. The 18-35 was fairly compact and fast. The 16-42 felt heavier and still didn't have enough range for us, so we still had to swap it out for longer primes like the 75mm occasionally.

8. D Lerrick

D Lerrick New Member

I use the Tokina Cine 16-28 Mark II. Works great for me too balance and is a quality lens. I also use the Kessler plate for the movi pro which is longer than the stock one and helps for balancing (The one with counterweights can do more of course). Compared to the lenses u mentioned it is a very short range and might be too short for ur use. My hopes are they soon release another lens in the line up, complementing this zoom range. But for shots on the wider end very recommendable.