/dist/images/branding/favicon

Quick release for top handle / MoviPro Ring and 13mm plug sockets

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Rick Gerard, May 11, 2017.

1. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

Is there a quick release for the top handle. I have a Jason case and it requires removing the top handle to store. Those tiny screws are just asking to get lost. The Pop-N-Lock does not look like it would work.

The 13mm quick release plug is a great idea but I don't see any way to purchase more attach brackets like the ones on the MIMIC handlebars. I need at least 2 more for the handlebars and I would like to attach at least 2 to the Movi Ring Pro.

I also need a much better solution to power my Atomos Ninja Inferno from the D-tap. The Atomos D-tap cable is coiled and way too thick to use. I'd like to avoid making up my own cables. This, and my other cable concerns may be a subject for another thread.

Mike Vickers likes this.
  2. Gerfried Guggi

Gerfried Guggi New Member

Second the quick release for the top handle, also owning the Jason Case :)

There are quite a few of 3rd party cable providers which should offer your choice of cable and could do custom solutions.

3. Benjamin Granet

4. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

I don't think so. The link you provided goes to basically a type of adjustable knob. Adjustable knobs can be great for ergonomics and tool-less design, but they are limited in their rotational travel. Most useful for 90-degree or even 180-degree turns. If someone needed the top handle to come on and off quickly, what I would like to see if something similar to the camera plate that interfaces with the Movi, or something similar to a hot shoe mount where the top handle assembly could slide into it and a button locks out once it snaps into place. this way the top handle can't pop back out. this would make it completely tool-less, but still maintain the integrity. Either that, or simply use the top handle sparingly. my hands being on the sides of the rig seem to work best for you. If I need to get the occasional low-shot, i can put the top handle on with the included screws, and it only take 30 seconds.

5. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

I was thinking about making or finding some 2.5mm thumbscrews. At least they wouldn't require tools to take off. And being larger would make them harder to lose.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Tim:
    Hope you don't mind a few spare ones: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/China-supplier-2-5mm-thumb-screw_60617466465.html?s=p
    (min. order is 1,000)

Can't seem to find any 2.5mm thumscrews in rationally small quantities. Other option would be to epoxy a knurled plate onto the head of some 2.5 machine screws -- those you can find pretty easily.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

7. Mike Vickers

Mike Vickers New Member

Same here! I could also really use a couple more 13mm quick release brackets! I keep searching the Freefly store and nothing.

8. Danie kelly Brown

Danie kelly Brown New Member

I have the Jason case also. I ended up buying the movi toad and the hole male and female and mounting the female on the top of the ring and the male adapter on the bottom of the handle. Works well to quick release the handle to get the movi pro into the jason case without futzing with those SUPER annoying tiny screws. Had to cut a small notch out of the foam to allow the gimbal to sit in there properly.

I really hope that on the next version of the Movi Pro they build in a solid lightweight quick release top handle.

Rob Weidner likes this.
  9. Davy Werrij

Davy Werrij New Member

Did anyone find a quick, easy and cheap solution to quick release the top handle on and off the Movi Pro without using those annoying little screws? ;)

10. Ryan Holdridge

Attached Files:

11. Chris Olson

Chris Olson New Member

Just asked Ignite Digi about this same thought I had yesterday! I asked about shorter female dovetail (the same as the top rail on the camera) cap you could mount to the ring, then use freefly's camera top handle. It would also be great going movi to sticks/handheld and you wouldn't need to relocate the monitor.
    IMG_3869.jpg IMG_3867.JPG IMG_3868.JPG

12. Josh Becker

Josh Becker New Member

This would be incredible! For safety, I'd maybe add a hard stop on the front of the short top rail and maybe a little spring safety pin at the back, just to make sure you don't have a risk of that handle slipping off the ring. I'd love to hear if they are interested in making these!

Chris Olson likes this.
  13. Mike Sutton

Mike Sutton Member

I could make some quick release dovetails with safety handle releases for the MoVI pro but would need to have some pre-orders lined up.

14. Davy Werrij

Davy Werrij New Member

15. Ryan Holdridge

Not anything extensive. I've only put about an hour of testing time on them. So far so good.

16. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

I have a modification for the top handle in the works. I'll post something as soon as it is far enough along to test and photograph.

17. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

I would be in!

18. Peter Mattsson

Peter Mattsson New Member

Anyone got some smart solution for this yet :)