/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi Pro w/ veracity control wheels PLC problem?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Steve Deneault, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Steve Deneault

Steve Deneault New Member

Hey everybody. First time posting. I'm the "A" camera operator on season two of Riverdale.

We've been using the movi pro and veracity control wheels for the first four episodes of shooting. The movi pro seems to be working fine but when connected to the VLC wheels we get intermittent roll shutter that is blowing takes. We frankly don't want to use the wheels anymore with the movi. We can't seem to sort out where the roll twitch comes from. A shot will be rock solid and then suddenly roll side to side about 10-15% on either side and then settle down again. We've tried using a larger receiver/antenna but still the same problem occurs. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Which radio slice do you have? Spektrum? Futaba? Are you set to the correct radio in the app (dsm2 1024 if Spektrum) ?

3. Steve Deneault

Thanks graham. Spectrum 1024 is correct. Trying an auto tune at 40 this morning. Which was recommended.

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Let me know if that helps.

I have the same setup (PLC wheels, Spektrum satellite receiver) and it works really well. There's a little delay and you have to zero the wheels out every time you turn them on, but they're pretty good.

I had to have the Pan encoder replaced last year when it wore out, which started an an intermittent problem that got worse. They repaired it for free but it had to ship back to Canada, which was expensive.

I also just got the Alpha Wheels with SBus XR module, and while I was setting it up, I saw this twitchy roll phenomenon you were talking about, but that was while I was going through the app and switching to the new Radio receiver. Once I got it all dialed in, it's been pretty quiet.

If you guys are shooting in Los Angeles and want to try out my PLC wheels to see if you can narrow down the source of the problem, I'd be happy to loan them for a day.

5. Steve Deneault

Sh
    The show shoots in Vancouver I'm afraid. Thanks for the offer. I'll keep trying and post my attempts to fix the issue. The guys at plc are booked solid but hopefully they can help soon.

6. Becca Ulmo

Becca Ulmo New Member

I would try to rent/buy Alpha Wheels with the SBbus module. I am a Local600 Movi Technician and I work on many Union TV shows and Features with my gimbal package. I've found this combo to show the best performance for fast paced TV work.

7. Ryan Forte

Ryan Forte Member

Steve do you guys have a MōVI controller on set? I know the wheels are often the better choice on narrative projects rather than the joystick but the Movi controller is very reliable and I've yet to experience any bugs that would ruin a shot.

It's a nice thing to have around to get you through the day so you can troubleshoot after the day is wrapped.

8. Ben Kanegson

Ben Kanegson New Member

Had an intermittent roll shudder using PLC wheels with Spektrum splice and M-15.

After much discussion with tech support, and during one of the calls, accidentally discovered that slight pressure on the small splice antenna caused problem to 100% disappear. It was a loose antenna connection causing the intermittent shudder issue.

Pot shot but worth a look..... was luckily a very simple fix for me.

FWIW, PLC top notch with customer support in my experience.

Becca Ulmo and Graham Futerfas like this.
  9. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

I know the exact roll twitch you're talking about. However, I only have ever seen it when I have the Movi app open and am adjusting the roll trim to fix the horizon. I suspect that this is not PLC related, but rather Movi related. Do you have a second Movi Pro you can bind the wheels to?