/dist/images/branding/favicon

Is this the cheapest focus motor solution?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Eirik Fiskkjønli, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Eirik Fiskkjønli

Eirik Fiskkjønli New Member

2. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

I'm using it with no problems so far. It's a little noisy when running focus at fill speed but so far it seems to be stable. Probably going to buy another one for iris. I don't use zoom lenses on the Movi so a third is not an issue for me.

3. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

do you power your cam and motors thru the movi pro internal power?

4. Rick Gerard

Yes - Right from the FIZ. The camera is powered by the dTap
    The cable for the FIZ is ridiculously expensive but I didn't have the time to build one. The connectors are available and a little expensive but it takes a lot of care to do the soldering.

5. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

Rick have you had any issues with those motors? I'm trying one out and at first worked great, but not the second time I used it. The calibration is all crazy and stutters through out the process. Then there's no control, it will go full speed to infinity or close focus.

6. Rick Gerard

So far I have about 15 hours on the motor. No problems so far.

The first thing I thought of when I read Rob's post was the first time I was calibrating the fiz and it started to go crazy. I realized that I had the turned the Mimic mode to off and moved the Mimic and Bush Pilot right next to the Movi and the antenna was still on the Mimic. I took off the antenna, and everything returned to normal and the motor then calibrated correctly.

There is a known issue when the Mimic is too close and the antenna is on. Move away and everything works just fine. Take off the antenna and everything is fine.

Could that have been your problem?

Like I said, so far, so good. The only thing I have found that is a little annoying is that you have to be very careful with the tension and position of the motor gear and the lens gear to avoid noise. I think I might try and polish the drive gear on the motor because it is not as precise or nicely polished as the gears on more expensive motors. The noise is only a problem with a fast focus pull when the camera is really close to the actor's mic.

7. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

Appreciate that. Yeah everything I've done is with no antenna. But let me try being even farther from the gimbal. Worked great at first, then when trying again later in the day I had a lot of issues.