/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVI pro Power problems with red helium

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Mark MacEwen, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

Hi there,
    I did a job recently with my MoVI pro and usual accessories, RT motion FF, teradek 2000 and a Red helium. And very quickly ran into problems I powered the camera and accessories through the rig as I've done with red dragon etc and after about 10 mins the teradek and FF started dropping out. Full power shut down. Which seems to me like the batteries can't power the helium and accessories like it could the red.
    I'm currently doing a camera test now and have replicated this again, it's happening now. The helium while running in a studio is drawing 5.4 amps which is a lot and the fan isn't even working hard.
    Are the batteries powerful enough for this? Has anyone else had problems?
    Would seem an oversight if we can't power the latest camera and accessory combination. Are there any plans for more powerful batteries? I really don't want to have to put a v lock on the back as do slots of remote wildlife work and it's all about saving weight. And for me the point of the pro was to get round all this.
    This happened using the base expander 2, but has also happened using the jet pack which for some reason seems to draw less amps, currently 4.9 amps.
    I'll add that all testing is being done at 6k at 80fps as it should show more of a power draw. But I really need a fix for this.

2. Rob Weidner

Rob Weidner New Member

You can try and bypass the movi pro voltage regulator and solder in a power cable to the 24v in...

3. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

If you take the RT motion FF out of the equation, do you still have power problems? Like I mentioned in another thread, I use a LiPo battery from the M15 to power my follow focus because I can't get quite enough power out of the Movi Pro. It just doesn't like my Bartech receiver.

4. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

I think that by taking the Teradek power in out of the Power supply behind the MoVi pro On off button and loading it onto the d-taps from the bottom of the sled it may have helped, hasn't happened in the last 30 mins so i wonder if my problem is that the trade is causing a power problem.

5. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

Using my M15 Lipos is definitely an option I was just hoping to keep it all far neater and use the Pro more for what its surely been designed for. Seems the Heliums new power demands are causing more problems.

6. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Copy that. I have two comments to add: There's a 2A current limit on the accessory D-Taps, and a 6A limit on the camera DTap. There was originally a problem with how Teradeks start up and draw a lot of current, but Freefly fixed that issue with a firmware update. I still have problems with my Bartech, even if it's the only thing plugged in to the DTap. If your RT Motion works, that's great -- test it with a high torque setting, and make sure it won't blow out on you when you put it in the field.

Personally, I don't like using the Spine D-Tap outlet for accessories because I invert the Movi back and forth a lot on set -- handheld, mounted, etc. When you flip the rig over, the cables get in the way and can snag or pull out if they're plugged into the DTap on the back. So I like to use the LiPo mounted (usually by velcro or Bongo Tie) to the camera\cage. I find it lasts until lunch on a normal set if it's just powering Bartech, so I only need two or three LiPo's to get through the whole day.

At first I was disappointed by the fact that I needed LiPo's, but after a few shoots, I realized it's not that big of a deal. They're cheap sources of power, lightweight, and pretty easy to throw in the mix when you need it.