/dist/images/branding/favicon

Keeping MoVI Pro built during transporation

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Greg Kubik, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Greg Kubik

Greg Kubik New Member

Hello all,
    I finally took the plunge and bought a MoVI Pro and was wondering if anyone has successfully created a way to transport a built unit in their car? In many cases, I am shooting on my A-Camera (Amira, FS7, RED) and the client wants to quickly be able to pickup the movi and shoot. In many cases I have an A7SII or C300 on the MoVI and want it ready to go. Unfortunately, many of my shoots don't have time built into the schedule to unpack and build the MoVI along with everything else that is going on. So, my idea is to prep the movi and camera the day before and drive to set with it already built. Has anyone successfully configured a way to do this? Is it safe or could I potentially damage the motors with a camera mounted on the Movi while driving?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Greg, I use a $50 Tool case from Lowes. It's made by Blue Hawk, and even has wheels:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-30-5-in-Black-Plastic-Wheeled-Tool-Box/3355634

I take the Movi\Camera off the Ring and keep a furniture blanket in there and wrap it in the blanket. I also went to Target and got a foam mattress pad, cut a few strips off it, and padded the bottom of the case. It was the least expensive foam padding I could find.

I have a rule about removing all antennas and I often unplug the Lemo cables, in case they get knocked in travel and broken. I had a Mimic antenna break long ago, which was an expensive fix, so that rule was put in place.

I also don't like the idea of this riding around in the camera truck, because it's not a real hard case like Pelican. So it's fine in the car\van, but if something were to fall on it, I'm not sure how well it would take the impact. It's a good solution for me, since I mostly run it around in my SUV. It's also good for quick location moves on set. Just throw it in the pass-van instead of a truck.

3. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

4. James Hillstrand

James Hillstrand New Member

Jason that looks pretty good and safe enough for any kind of transportation. I recently replaced the tri-fold cover with 1-pc hard tonneau cover for full protection and keeps the bed dry. That kind of case can protect the MoVI kit around other stuff in the truck bed.

5. Danie kelly Brown

Danie kelly Brown New Member

+1 for the Jason Case. I just put it under the airplane for the first time a few days ago. Worked like a charm.

It is a BEAST of a case, so just be prepared.

You can put the movipro fully setup with camera on it, but you would probably not want to be rallying to hard with it in the case. Personally for fastest access if I am driving somewhere I use two ski straps and latch them though the side of the cage and around the ring so it keep it from flopping around with camera on it. Then I just put it on a car seat and seatbelt it in.