/dist/images/branding/favicon

Updated M5?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Chris Jack, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Chris Jack

Chris Jack New Member

Hi All,

I was wondering if there was any news on a possible M5 update? We really wanted to buy the MoviPro but decided it was too big and intrusive for what we need. (Mostly event work). We like the M5 very much and would prefer it to the main competitors rig. However the batteries seem to have quite a few issues that would appear to have been taken care of in the other companies rig.

What I really am hoping to find out is if anyone has heard of any possible updates, (M5 is three years old) or if Movi are just going to concentrate on their Pro system? I am loath to buy an older system just for an update to come out a few days later! I am aware of the arguments saying if you need it now then get it now, however we do have a working stabiliser that still works but is getting a bit long in the tooth. (We think the motors are stating to go).

Being an old fashioned kind of guy I don't really want to buy the competitors rig as it does seem, in my personal opinion, that you should not reward companies for copying others work and then undercutting the same innovators. On the other hand I am running a business so need to look at what is best for us. (I know a selfish attitude, but I do have mouths to feed!).

Anyhow, this post was longer than I expected so apologies for that, but any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers all.

2. Chris Jack

Chris Jack New Member

Guess not! Looking at the frequency of posts on here compared to the MoviPro forum I think I can make an educated guess that the company focus is moving away from the M5. I will keep an eye out on this thread to see if anything changes but otherwise best of luck to the M5 users.

3. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

if you look at history of freefly they dont make upgrade kits, they did however made a upgrade kit for m10 a top rail bar but as far as i know no.

4. Chris Jack

Chris Jack New Member

Hi Jason,

I think you are probably right. I didn't really mean an upgrade as such (In that freefly improve on their existing model) but I was wondering more towards a new handheld stabiliser that was not as big as the Pro, but with a more up to date feature set. (Perhaps taking some of the features from the pro).

Its slightly frustrating for us because the Pro would be perfect for us if were only a little smaller. An operator wandering around an event with a Pro is somewhat conspicuous. Annoyingly we have to purchase a new stabiliser as ours has just kicked the bucket and even more annoyingly it is going to have to be freeflys main competitors model purely because of the slightly improved feature set. =(

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Freefly does not have a new model coming out in the next couple of months!

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering if anyone still read these forums!

5. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

6. Chris Jack

Chris Jack New Member

Hi Jason,

I did see the carbon but I don't think it is appropriate for us for a few reasons, firstly it is also big, secondly it has a camera that we would not consider and thirdly and perhaps most importantly, it will cost in the region of $30000!

7. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

Hi Chris,

I do not know what your complaint is regarding the M5's batteries, but I will take normal lipo batteries over the newer smart batteries any day. They are a lot cheaper, you can charge them much faster, with safer and higher quality chargers. We have two M5 mounts and I have used the m15 and looked at getting a Movi Pro, but it has too many issues that I can't get past. I would have much rather seen them stick with the M15 design and just update the motors and electronics.

Wayne Mann
    www.HeliCamhighdefmedia.com

8. Gavin Morrisson

Hi Chris,

What camera are you guys using? I'm curious as the A7 is spectacular.

Best,
    Gavin

9. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

The fascination with new gear is hard to ignore, but I'm still using my original M5 all the time, and I'm super happy with it. Firmware updates have kept it working great, and it feels like an old, reliable tool in my hands. I use it mostly with my GH5 and a variety of lenses and focal lengths, and it delivers every time. Battery life is great, too. I usually bring 2-3 charged batteries on jobs, but rarely even have to use the 2nd...one battery usually lasts me hours of shooting.

Sergi Medina likes this.
  10. Gavin Morrisson

That's awesome. I've been looking at getting a GH5. The quality alone seems to put it leagues above the A7...