/dist/images/branding/favicon

Freefly gimbal stabilization

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Michael Braun, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Andy, That problem was solved long ago by many pharmaceutical companies ;)

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey Tabb: But they tranquilize. I was thinking more in the stabilize axis. :) OK. Perhaps anesthetize would be a second choice, come to think of it. Let me take this tablet and se......................

;)

3. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I don't use FPV for that reason... I just yell at my camera ops to tell me how far away or close I am and if I need to speed up or slow down. So far it's worked really well and I haven't had any close calls crash wise.

josh

4. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

This is why we don't use any inflight assistance, no gps or alt hold...don't have either installed. Manual flight is far more reliable for me.

Howard

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Josh/Howard: Yup. I agree with you. I was flying solo, so no shooter with me -- and that's pretty stressful. I thought I'd try AH just to avoid CFIT (controlled flight into terrain). For solo flying I think I'm going go with 2-Axis gimbal and use a Smart OSD to superimpose HUD data on the camera feed with a "no HUD screen" as one of the four. I'll stay off FPV unless I go IFR. I'm joking, of course.

Andy.

6. Josh Lambeth

HAHA being able to just fly IFR would be interesting! Whoever comes up with a safe/reliable way of doing that would be a genus!

Josh

7. Josh Lambeth

Only reason I use GPS or alt is for still images and I like the failsafes you get with them for loss of signal.

Josh

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Well, y'know, I used to fly a full-sized self-launching sailplane in the UK and we'd routinely fly into cloud with just an artificial horizon or a basic turn & slip. The problem with being in the plane is that you have to turn off your middle ear balance module as it lies to you, but that's not a problem with the SOSD and being on the ground. So (legal disclaimer) not that I'm advocating it, but it should be feasible to do it with the HUD.

Of course, the larger question: why on earth would you want to do it with a copter? We used to do it because the thermals are stronger in the cumulus clouds and it was usually net positive altitude gain even if the laminar flow wings got wet in the cloud. But in copter....

I suppose, if you do suddenly have an FPV camera failure but still have the HUD (as in when the camera connector pops out), it might be nice to fly on HUD, but....who would *ever* have a camera connector pop out in flight, eh? That's what Sugru's for, right?

(OK, OK, so I'm new to this....)

Andy.

9. Howard Dapp

Josh,

Once you've cut the video demo for the forum I'll send you a "drop box" where (if you like) you can send an unedited original Canon file of one of the runs.

Thanks,
    Howard

10. Philipp Haefliger

Philipp Haefliger New Member

Works the Radian-System with Futaba BLS451 Servos?

Thanks
    Philipp

11. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Philipp, it will certainly work but I am unsure how well it will tune with those servos. The best performing servos we have tried thus far are the Freefly ones. I am sure that sounds like I am just trying to sell you our servos but we have yet to see anything outperform them with the Radian.

Tabb

12. Marc BRACELET

Marc BRACELET Active Member

wow...!!! So impressive. I think it's NEX5 or 7 on the Gimbal...

Direct on Vimeo to have full view :
    Code:
    https://vimeo.com/48256239

13. Emanuele Chiocchio

Saw the video and it's quite interesting. I'm glad to have ordered the Radian system if it turns out to be able to achieve this level of stabilization. Even if it's HALF as good as the vimeo sample you've pointed out, I would suggest to buy the system wholeheartedly.

BTW there's something that is not convincing: in my opinion the video is probably slowed down. I repeat: if this is the level of the Radian, I'm super-happy but it's an almost identical performance as the Zenmuse and it shouldn't be possible due to the difference from servos to stepper motors.

I'm probably wrong, just my 2 cents.

14. Josh Lambeth

I too think something is slightly off... At one point it looked like there had been warp stabilizer used on the footage but it's really hard to tell. In the description they said it was jello due to the fast movement but the only time I have seen jello effect from a quick camera move is if you have Image Stabilizer on a lens and pan quickly... idk but if it's correct then the thing looks awesome! I need to tune mine better... lol

15. Emanuele Chiocchio

When the production units will become finally available and more users will start posting their videos (mine included), we'll find the truth.

Miguel, the user that made the video, was so kind to answer to some of my questions and give some details:

"i am at work right know but i will definitely take some pictures to show how it is mounted/boards/camera etc. the key seems to be balancing the camera and overall center of gravity on the gimbal. i also changed my props from APC's(unbalanced) to Carbon fiber. and that alone, removed most of the jittery that i was getting, as the radian seems to be super sensitive to movement, including vibration coming from unbalanced props.
    **this test i was using the nex5n with the cs 3x gimbal on a cinestar 8
    Also when tweaking the gain numbers, do not jump between big numbers, go one by one. i believe my gain is 174 for roll and 182 for tilt on this setup. i will confirm later."

16. Josh Lambeth

Interesting to know. Maybe I should go through and balance out my props. I still need yo tweak my gains more as well.

Thanks for that info!

Josh

17. Emanuele Chiocchio

It would be great to have a reference guide to Radian's installation/configuration made by FF (Tabb) in the first place: less user's errors, higher success. This isn't a toy and people use it to make money, afterall. :)

18. Brian Bills

Brian Bills New Member

The video above is definitely overcranked. Still very impressive. I have to say that I'm very happy with my Radians. If I could just get my editor off his butt I'd have some footage to show.

Also I'm sure Tabb has some tutorial videos in the pipeline but honestly these are sooo easy to set up. After having spent literally hundreds of hours working with the Piclocs, DJI, etc... it was a breath of relief when working with the radians. You just plug them in, tell them what axis they're on, and adjust ONE gain and that's it! Beautiful video! And I'm still old-school flying single rotor helis with a triax mount. One of these days I'll be as cool as y'all and have a CS8 with all the goodies.;)

19. Howard Dapp

Great, excited about this. Easy is good. Sorry if this question has been asked already, is there any way to adjust stick input ramp up/down damping on the pan and tilt axis?

20. Brian Bills

Brian Bills New Member

There is a slew rate adjustment but no "expo" as I imagine you are referring to. However you can take care of that in the tx as per your cam op's request.